Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzitain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2011, 04:58 AM
    Dog grooming - Dog hates legs shaved or cut what do I do?
    My cockapoo doesn't like his legs or belly cut or shaved after a bad experience with a groomer. He got cut on the belly! Ive tried other groomers but he reacts so bad no one wants to take him again. Im going to try at home myself. Any tips on how to calm him or deal with him when I get around to shaving his belly. Ive done all parts but as soon as I touch his legs or belly he freaks out.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Definitely work on this at home. All I can say is use positive reinforcement, holding, patting, cooing, tiny treats once in a while, and waiting between attempts, never forcing him. Tons of exaggerated praise, play, walks, all his favorite things.

Keep the tools out where he can see them, maybe even on the floor. Find out what the options are for letting his belly and legs be fuller than shaved; I've seen plenty of poodles with longish haircuts (looks good too).
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2011, 07:09 AM
    joypulvs advice is great, I'll just elaborate a little...

Nicking or rashing a dog is very easy to do, I have done it with my own dogs and I have been grooming for years, just letting you know not to hold it against the groomer too much :)

However one bad experience is all it takes sometimes for the dog to lose their trust in people. What specifically doesn't she like? Is it touching in general or only when you appraoch her with scissors or clippers?

If it is just from you touching her with your hand then you can work at it by using training tools like treats or toys. Get her interested in her favourite treat, hold it in one hand and let her nibble at it, while using your other hand to run it over her body. Gradually work your way down to rubbing your hands over her legs and belly over time. If at any point she seems unconfortable, back off a little and just pat her back or somewhere she feels comfortable with, you can always try again later.

Once she is happy with you touching her legs with your hand, repeat the same process but just run the clippers over her. Make sure they are not turned on so there is no noise, just get her used to the big scary objects being near her and touching her. Again, work up to touching them on her legs and belly.

Then you can repeat the process a third time, but have the clippers turned on.

If she really freaks out over the noise then try just having them on in the same room. Turn them on, sit them on the floor and then feed her treats on the other side of the room. Gradually work closer to the clippers until she is happy sitting next to them.

Once you have tried the gentle approach if you think it is not working then there is the option of using a little more force. I have had dogs that no matter how much work I have done desensitising them they just refused to be brushed or clipped. In the end I had to physically hold them and just get on with it. Yes they were frightened at first, but after a few sessions they realized that it wasn't going to hurt them after all.

I always leave that option until last though as it can easily backfire. Desensitising is the safest option to try first.

Sorry for detailing so many different steps, use your best judgement as to where you think it would be best to start.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Hi suzitain,

My suggestion would be to coerce your dog with some yummy treats. You might try holding the treat in front of his/her face as you attempt to groom him/her. If the dog is not cooperating do not give him/her the treat until it does. That way when the dog gets the treat for letting you groom it, it knows it did something right and will attempt to do it again (for another treat of course). Hope this helps you. Some dogs are just stubborn, you just have to be firm and let the dog know that you are not going to hurt it.

Thanks,
    Farva

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health considerations with shaved samoyed dog? Also how to introduce a dog to a cat? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to adopt a 2 and a half to 3 year old samoyed from a shelter. He was neglected and when his neighbours took him to the shleter his fur was matted so they had to cut out all the tangles (he isn't bald he just has fairly short fur). I was just wondering if there could be any health issues...

Health considerations with shaved samoyed dog? Also how to introduce a dog to a cat? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm about to adopt a 2 and a half to 3 year old samoyed from a shelter. He was neglected and when his neighbours took him to the shleter his fur was matted so they had to cut out all the tangles (he isn't bald he just has fairly short fur). I was just wondering if there could be any health issues...

Help for dog with grooming rash [ 3 Answers ]

Help for dog with grooming rash

Dog Crying after grooming [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, 2 days ago I had my cocker spaniel groomed professionally for the first time. Usually my husband has done her grooming. Since she has been groomed she acts as if she has a piece of poo stuck on her butt, she does not want to walk and when she does walk she walks as if trying to hide her...

View more questions Search