What's This Valve?
    Mark,

What kind of stop valve is this?
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2011, 07:54 AM
    Harold,
    Tell us more. What's this valve supplying and how old is it? Looks like a old angle stop to me. Cheers, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Hi Tom,

See this post "Hey Plumbers" by monkfan,

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...rs-597056.html.

She is having strange problems with water temperature in shower. I went back to previous post by monkfan and pull up that valve on her heater.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
    So I went back. What am I to learn from that? That it's a faucet supply? One more time. What's the valve connected to? Regards Tom

Sep 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Monkfan's water heater.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ld-324292.html
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
    I may be wrong but it sure appears to me to be a bleed valve... just like the one you can see on radiators...
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Now we're all confused. Milo thinks it be off a radiator. I think it kind of looks like a old angle stop and you tell us it came off from Monks water heater. But how did Monks water heater come into play when his complaint was about a mixing valve and where did you get the picture? What am I missing here? Cheers, Tom

Sep 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
    OK Tom,

I was reading monkfan's post about having plenty of hot water in the summer months and not having hot water in the winter months. I find that to be a rather strange thing. I noted that she made a post previously, about two years ago, about what she thought was mold on water heater pipes that was really tarnishing due to flux not being wiped off by the plumber.

In that post you noted that the plumbing was so bad that it could not have been done by a licensed plumber. I agree.

I also noted the stop valve used by the plumber. Having never seen a stop valve that looked like that I was wondering if it was just a stop valve or something special.

Now that Milo has mentioned it, it does look like a valve you see on heat radiators.
    Just wondering if it could have anything to do with the strange hot water problems monkfan is experiencing now.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
    Hi guys... that is a vacuum relief valve, or just another type of anti.-siphon or backflow preventer.

In Massachusetts we are required to install these a minimum of 6 inches above the water heater in the cold water line to prevent the local fire department from sucking the water heaters dry when they purge fire hydrants or the neighbors fill their pools... that kind of stuff.

I think Monkfan's issue is a temperature balancing spool, but I am not 100% sure by any means. It seemed the best advice to start with.

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Wow Hared!
    You went back and picked Monks fathers complaint and then tied the two together? I'm totally impressed! Good job! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B&S 14HP OHV intake valve/ worn cam lobe or tappet valve? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I've scoured the postings and found many people with similar problems but only 1 or 2 with identical problems to mine. I have a Toro Timecutter 14-38Z (model 74301 serial 230004085) zero turn mower with a Briggs %26 Stratton 14HP OHV engine (model 280H07-0166-E1) and it only has about 120 hours...

Hot water problem - faulty check valve or mixing valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have a weird problem with hot water running cold in our apartment. At all of the faucets and taps we only get hot water for a minute or two and have to turn off the faucet/tap for 30 seconds and back on again to get hot water. Then the same thing happens again. To get continuous hot...

I'd like to install a ball valve on main water line will a "Viperlok" valve work? [ 1 Answers ]

I know sweat soldering a ball valve is best, but will a "push-ft" compression "Viperlok" brand ball valve work?---My pipes are old copper, and have a few minor scratches and pits---I also noticed a seam running down one side of pipe. This water line runs out into garden, but valve is in the house....

Cold water pressure relief valve leaking, not the TRP valve [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. Cold water pressure relief valve start to drip water through the drain pipe. I replaced it with a new one but it is also dripping water. I have reduced water pressure in the house to the minimum by turning main water supply valve but it still leaking. Thanks for your help.

Can I solder outlet side of a ball valve if the valve is closed and under pressure? [ 0 Answers ]

Can I solder outlet side of a ball valve if the valve is closed and under pressure?

View more questions Search