Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadowseven Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Transformer keeps blowing
    I purchased a Ritetemp 8050C programmable thermostat for my (electric) central air/heating system. The heating unit inside my condo is a Texfan CV-X 18-6 hp model from Chinook Industries (I have not been able to find any info online about either company, and there is no manual for this unit). I installed the programmable thermostat myself, following the instructions provided by Ritetemp. I blew the first transformer and decided to call in a professional heating/cooling repair tech to rewire the thermostat and replace the transofrmer, which he did. Eight hours later, the transformer blew again. The company will only send an after-hours tech out to fix the problem, andwill charge me time and a half, plus the cost of any replacement parts (I don't understand how I would be responsible for anything). Anyway, we have no heat through the cold weekend... what should I do? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could repair this without shelling out another $200 or more?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Buy a transformer, an inline fuse holder, and a pack of fuses. Radio shack P/N 273-1512, 270-1281, 270-1007 will do. Home centers, hardware stores, etc. have ones that will work too.

Replace the blown transformer with the new one inserting the fuse holder in one of its leads to the circuit board.

Check you wiring. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...mer-59477.html
    For tips on the wiring. If yo need more help, see the sticky at the top of the H&C forum.

Feb 3, 2007, 12:58 PM
    The more I think about it, given my limited knowledge, I will call in a professional again. My question now is this: should I attempt to call in another repairman from the same heating/ac company to re-address their previous work, or should I call in a licensed electrician? Which would be better? If I call in the same heating/ac company, what would I be obligated to pay for? The company does have a 30 day labor warranty ("within normal business hours") and a oneyear parts warranty. I haveno problem paying for one hour of labor (their minimum charge) and any additional parts, but I will not pay for another transformer or for labor to rework the previous repariman's wiring in the thermostat.

Any suggestions as to a course of action?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
    If the place you called will not stand by their product or service tech, don't use them. If the same part failed, you should owe nothing. Most companies give a 1 year warranty on parts and 30 days on service. The tech did not do his job to fix the problem. Call the same company first and tell them the problem if no response call the attorney general of your state. The problem will get solved that way.

Feb 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the help! The company is coming back this afternoon to hopefully fix the problem. I had to go without heat the whole weekend, so hopefully it will get fixed today!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transformer [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I've constructed a velleman amp, 2x30watt output, model K4003. Now to power this you need a 50Va transformer. I bought one and the pins along the input side are labelled 0 120 0 120 and the output 0 12 0 12

Transformer [ 3 Answers ]

What happens inside a transformer that increases or decreases the voltage?When a transformer steps up voltages,from where it creates thes voltages?

Transformer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys I'm having trouble finding a replacement transformer for my heating unit. The model number is AT140B1123. It's a Honeywell product but I can't find it on their website. Thanks Lou

Transformer [ 5 Answers ]

How can you tell if you have blown a transformer? Also, does anyone know where I can find a part number for my transformer without being able to get to the part itself? I have a model number of 58PAV. The circuit board is HK42FZ009. I believe it is Carrier but not 100%

24v transformer to dampers keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

I've quickly blown two 110 to 24v 40va transformers. This transformer powers the electronic dampers from my furnace. I have 2 zones, 2 thermostats. I've also had problems blowing the 3amp fuse in my furnace itself when activating my zone 2 thermostat. All three of my damper motors test out OK,...

View more questions Search