Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
    95 Honda civic cuts out while driving
    A week ago engine cuts out while driving. Still had headlights and dash lights just no power and it would not start. Came back to the car three hours later and it started. Drove to and from work for three days then engine cut out again twenty feet from work parking lot, started a moment later and got it to a parking space. After work car would not start. Came back two days later and car started up but the idle was a little rough, managed to drive it home and now it is dead in driveway. Replaced fuel filter. Oil light comes on after the stall even though there is plenty of oil and I have checked valve cover gasget. Battary was strong enough to crank the engine just could not get it to start.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil.
    honto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
    I suspect you are right about the icm and coil but now I got another problem. While checking the car out before I got your reply I took a look inside the distributer cap then put back on. Then tested for spark at wire ends (which there was none and required a little cranking of the engine), but now engine will not crank. Have I created two problems now or should I still just consider the (ICM) and coil. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2011, 08:34 PM
    . Remove and fully charge (or replace) the battery.

. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Replace ICM and coil, once the engine cranks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic suddenly cuts out while driving [ 37 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic dx. Worked great until last week when I was stopped at a red light and the engine just cut out. Restarted OK. Then I was cruising down the freeway and the engine suddenly cut out again. I pulled over into the shoulder and it started fine. Now, I can't make a 5 minute...

2000 honda civic dx runs great then cuts off while driving. [ 2 Answers ]

2000 honda civic dx runs great then cuts off while driving. It cracks back up but some times I have to wait for 5 min. It may not cut off for 2-3 weeks and than cuts off again. We changed the fuel pump, cattelack converter twice, plugs, wires, coils. The code shows that the converter is bad and...

Radio cuts out while driving in 2000 civic [ 16 Answers ]

'Alright, I have 2000 Honda Civic EX. Today while driving, I shifted into 2nd gear and the SRS light came on and my radio cuts out while driving or revving the engine. While driving and actually pressing the gas pedal the head unit is never playing, it`s on but nothing is coming out. When I stop at...

1999 Honda accord LX V6 starts fine, but cuts off more and more while driving. [ 1 Answers ]

My son has a 1999 Honda accord LX V6. It has had an issue for closed to a year where the car shuts off on him while driving down the road. He pulls over cranks it up, sometimes on first try, but not more than three. There are times where it has gone a month with no issues, but now quite often in...

1992 civic cuts out while driving and starts after a little while then cuts out [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 1992 civic and recently it just started cutting out while driving. The first day I was ready to get onto the freeway and it just cut out. It started again after a while and was okay getting home. It ran a little rough but made it home. The next day it was fine on the way to work but coming...

View more questions Search