Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themisfitkitten Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Sep 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
    How do you report UC fraud in Pennsylvania?
    Our company has a former employee who was let go due to misuse of company funds, insubordination, sharing company secrets, etc. This person has previously apparently collected UC fraudulently and has a long criminal history; no, we were not aware of this at the time of his hiring and yes, we now do background checks on all new employees. This is a small company that is working on improving hiring practices, among other things, and there had not been a situation like this previously. Live and learn, right?

We have appealed his unemployment claim but the UC referee didn't feel that the evidence my boss chose to present was enough to deny the claim, so to my knowledge--he is collecting unemployment. We are in an industry where everyone talks, and word has gotten back to us from very reliable sources that this man is working "as a consultant" for another company. We are certain that he would not have notified UC of his employment, because he did not when he started working here--we also believe that until (and UNLESS) the proper tax paperwork is filed, there is no way for UC to catch this.

Is there anything (legal, obviously) that we may be able to do to report this UC fraud? Since we only have hearsay, I am not sure what should be reported, or if someone should be nudged in his direction to investigate.

I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions--I don't feel that this person intends to stop trying to benefit himself in any way possible, and on principle, I don't want him to harm another company as he has done with mine. Thank you.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Your company would be receiving notification of him collecting his weekly benefits. Has your company received any such notifications of his receiving these benefits? Check with Unemployement for these notifications if your company somehow does not get them mailed to them.

Sep 15, 2011, 11:10 AM
    We have not received the actual confirmation of benefits yet because this hearing happened very recently--we did receive notification that the claim we appealed had been allowed, so we should start getting those notifications pretty soon. Although we did send another appeal, we don't think it will do much good--we elaborated on a few details that my boss had forgotten at the hearing, but knowing that they won't accept new evidence, they probably will just consider this something the boss "should have brought up."
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Once you start receiving these notifications of him receiving the benefits you can contact Unemployment and incate that he is employed as a consultant at such and such company they will do their own investiation and for each week (or count per week) he collects Unemployment benefits he will be prosecuted accordingly for the fraud.

Why didn't your company have him prosecuted for the misuse of company funds? Did he embezzle the funds or just use them inappropriately? If embezzlement the state will prosecute the case for your company and if just used inappropriately your company may be able to sue him in civil court for the return of the money he misused.

Sep 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Wonderful, thank you; I appreciate your response. Hopefully this will sort this out a little bit. :)

Sep 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
    Oh--I missed the other part of your answer. The bosses are in the process of discussing the actual misuse of funds with the appropriate authorities. That's a whole other can of worms, lol...
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
    Well let them know they need to gather their paperwork up and make an appointment with the local district attorney's office and they will prosecute him on this for free. The only thing they need to do is basically document everything on paper and sit down and discuss this with the DA's office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I report an Immigration fraud? [ 20 Answers ]

My friend has had a friend who now is a Green Card holder and working full time, studying full time by receiving government loans. This friend came to US back in 2000 through San Diego, CA and his travel originated from Toronto, Canada. He told his relative and acquaintances that he came from...

Report immigration fraud [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just want to know that Is anybody know how to report illegal person who live in United State (wihtout any of visa ex. F1,k1 or M1)? Reason for reporting this guy is because he's make lot of problem at work (actually, we work at the same place) and I believe that he also has invalid social #.

Immigration report fraud [ 3 Answers ]

What can I do if my husband married me for money? My husband is from El Salvador and has his green card. I married my husband and he wouldn't help with the house and work every day. He would only pay about $400 a month towards our 1 bedroom apartment then borrow $100-$200 dollars over the course...

H1 b Fraud report. [ 2 Answers ]

Who do I & how do I report about the company who is filing H1b for foreign immigrants & using many fake documents.

Report fraud (?) [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if you can help me with a case of possible fraud? My mother-in- law received a temporary license in the mail from someone she knew once that lives in canada.. with my mother in laws address on the license! The woman clearly does not live there. Her land line phone number comes up...

View more questions Search