Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fistix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
    How can I print from my laptop to my desktop printer on wireless router?
    I have two laptops running on Vista and XP. I want to be able to print from my laptop to my desktop (Vista) printer but I don't know how.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 14, 2011, 10:21 PM
    You need to share the printer, then connect to your desktop to use it..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2011, 03:26 AM
    Go to Start>Control Panel>Printers on your desktop. Right click on the printer and select Sharing. Set the printer up as shared.

Then go to the laptop and from the Printers choose add a Printer and chose a network printer. The printer should appear on the list so you can add it to the laptop.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
    You would need some sort of device (such as a router) that has printer port on it. This will allow you to share your printer over your home network. Here is a relatively cheap router that will allow you to do this.

Here is a link to an ASUS router with print server functionality... Just do a little research and you can find other great routers or devices that can do this for you

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-wl-520gu-125m-broad-range-ez-wireless-router-all-in-one-print/206865166.html

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by farvaknowsbest View Post
    You would need some sort of device (such as a router) that has printer port on it.
    This is ONLY one of several ways to share a printer over a network. The ways are:

1) Connect printer to a PC and enable sharing
    2) If the printer is networkable, connect it directly to the router via an Ethernet cable
    3) Use a print server (either a separate device connected to the router via an Ethernet cable or one built into the router or another device).
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Well I don't think he has a network printer, and sometimes the sharing option doesn't work the way it should. So I figured the print server would be his best option for this scenario. Sure it'll cost a bit of money, but the router I posted was no more than $50 and it has wireless-N capabilities... So an upgrade may not be a bad option
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
    They also make Wireless Print Servers.
    Plug your printer into it and then a wireless connection to your Router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have verizon wireless for laptop go through wireless router for home [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have verizon wirless for my laptop, works very well in and out of town. I would like to know if I can run my UBS verizon wirless through a router so when I am home we may all use the internet with home computors at the same time.

Wireless router to wireless printer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Just bought a new computer, wireless router, and wireless printer. Is it possible to set up wireless router to talk to wireless printer? I have no idea how to set everything for them to communicate. :confused: Please Help!! Thank You!!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Network laptop to desktop with router [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, this would seem to be an easy one. I was able to connect my desktop to my laptop in like 30 seconds using the map network drive thing. I'm now having a hell of a time connecting my laptop to my desktop. At first when I was trying to connect I was getting prompted to punch in a password...

Wireless Printer and wireless router [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wireless printer, with a wireless router. I set up the printer through my router and the printer connects. But when I go to print it will not. I did a test page from the printer and everything passes. I do not understand. This does the same thing on 2 computers. Randy

View more questions Search