Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Obama regime getting creepier
    During the Obamacare debate the president called for snitches to report in on alleged misinformation to [email protected]. He has established a creepy new snitching effort called Attack Watch. Victor Davis Hanson explains the creepiness of this effort:

Obama's New Maiestas
    Victor Davis Hanson · 5 hours ago

There are a lot of disturbing—and ironic—things about the new Obama effort (AttackWatch.com) to monitor, hunt down, and attack its critics. It used to be a classically liberal idea that conservatives and liberals would debate policies, put their views out, and let the public decide the validity of their positions. Supposedly disinterested newspapers would occasionally weigh in on disingenuous or especially egregious transgressions of good manners and basic professionalism

At certain times—so the liberal narrative went—this notion of an arena of ideas was perverted by the paranoid and vindictive right-wingers, like a Joe McCarthy shaking papers “with the names of known communists”, or Richard Nixon with his enemies lists.

Yet go onto the new ("Paid for by Obama for America") AttackWatch.com website. It reads and looks like some sort of Stasi file (“file” is their vocabulary, not mine). It asks readers to inform them of criticism of Obama. The format is, I guess by intent, supposed to resemble a government intelligence dossier ("Attack files"), with its blaring black and red headers: "Attack" /"Attackers" (followed by names and pictures of the supposed bad guys)/"Attack Type" /("public statements") followed by check off boxes like “Have your seen or heard this attack?" "Yes/No". It reminds me of living in 1973 dictatorial Greece, when we all kept silent about the Colonels upon entering the apartment building, lest the government-paid concierge write something down not nice in her black book.

Apparently no one in the administration learned from the spooky tone of the now defunct Journolist. That obtuseness begs the question, what is it with these extra-journalistic efforts to intimidate critics, as if the 2012 campaign will be based around deterrence: e.g. as if: “Beware: if you criticize Barack Obama, your name and picture will appear on our "Attack File". We are watching you, so you watch out!"

So creepier still is the request to snoop around and collect evidence for what the Roman emperors and French monarchs used to call maiestas/Lèse-majesté—supposed crimes against the head of state, by circulating criticism of his authority that might lessen his proper sense of majesty. Indeed, on AttackWatch.com there is a special pop-up window that is reminiscent of Crimestoppers.com that supposedly will help form some sort of a clearing house: "Your email"/"content of attack or link"/"Attack type", "Attach" with a link "Report" that pops up yet another window.

This is yet another disturbing symptom of Obama’s current malady: Near 40% approval polls; widespread terror of 2012 Democratic candidates that Obama may bring them down in the fashion of the 2010 tsunami (cf. the wipeouts in the Nevada and New York special elections); leftwing columnists scapegoating Obama in hopes that they can blame the public rejection of their own statist agenda on a supposedly inept messenger.

I predict AttackWatch.com will fail and go the way of Journolist. It is contrary to the American tradition of unfettered free speech to post, in psychodramatic style, names and pictures as if they were criminals for speaking out against the head of state. The request for millions of spies to report such incorrect discourse will offend rather than inspire. As in the case of the 2008 Obama rejection of public campaign financing funds, it is hypocritical; and also antithetical to the supposed liberal tradition of tolerance and free expression without worry of intimidation.

I also predict in the following weeks we will see a lot of pushback from even the liberal media that will seek to disassociate itself from AttackWatch.com—lest the names and pictures of themselves start showing up on it.
    When did liberals become such enemies of free speech?

P.S. I joined so I could snitch on the snitches.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
    This is looking more like Nazi Germany and Stalin Russia every day with this type of stuff. Obama apparently is taking lessons from these dead dictators who refused to have anyone say anything disparaging about "dear Leader" or they were sent to concentration camps or Siberian gulags.

Thank goodness those days are over, or ARE they?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 14, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Where is this speech calling for snitches?

All I see is a site that puts forth what this group thinks are political lies from the media (much of which is online drivel written by tinfoil hats), and it asks for them so they can reply, not go out with truncheons. Gimme a break. Alarmist.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
    I can't see how 'rumors' are a 'reportable attack'. With their form, it would seem to encourage people to report a private citizen repeating a 'rumor' since most 'rumors' would already be covered under the other forms such as radio/tv ad, website/blog, forwarded email, etc.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Hello Steve:

One of attributes of the surveillance state that YOU SUPPORT, is getting neighbor to snitch upon neighbor... I've said MANY times on these pages, that if you don't GUARD the rights of your antagonists, yours will soon disappear.

I remember you were outraged that the cops would come into your home WITHOUT a warrant. Now, you're worried about government snitches... But, the NSA listening to your phone calls, and reading your emails is just hunky dory with you..

You want it BOTH ways - a TYPICAL right wing position.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post

All I see is a site that puts forth what this group thinks are political lies from the media (much of which is online drivel written by tinfoil hats), and it asks for them so they can reply, not go out with truncheons. Gimme a break. Alarmist.
    Hello joypulv, I don't believe we've met.

I'm no alarmist, but when the president of the United States calls for citizen snitches to report to him at an official White House address that's creepy. This president has proven by his behavior time and again that he is no friend of free speech and dissent is something to be suppressed, not embraced. And if something goes bad avoid taking responsibility, blame Bush.

Oh, and he leaves the truncheon-wielding to his union thugs.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:

One of attributes of the surveillance state that YOU SUPPORT, is getting neighbor to snitch upon neighbor...
    Who doesn't report suspicious activity in your neighborhood? You? If I see some guy snooping around my home or my neighbors you're darn right I'm going to report it, that's what a good neighbor does. If I smell funky stuff coming from a house across the street and people running in and out at all hours I'll report it, I don't want someone's meth lab to blow up on my block do you? No that's right, you just want it legalized.

I remember you were outraged that the cops would come into your home WITHOUT a warrant. Now, you're worried about government snitches... But, the NSA listening to your phone calls, and reading your emails is just hunky dory with you..
    Yep, if you were chatting with terrorists overseas I'd certainly hope they caught it.

You want it BOTH ways - a TYPICAL right wing position.
    I want a reasonable balance, it is part of the government's job to protect our lives. It's not part of their job to suppress free speech.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:26 AM

Stop being the voice of reason! You'll make their heads explode! LOL!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Yep, if you were chatting with terrorists overseas I'd certainly hope they caught it.
    Hello again, Steve:

For a right winger, you should do TRUST the government... Makes no sense to me.

excon
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2011, 05:47 AM
    Hey NeedKarma thanks but I see at least two other voices of reason here.

Nothing about any of this is new in history. Before the internet, politicians had staff and volunteers do newspaper and magazine clipping and take notes on TV, radio, and live speeches so that they could quote and bash them in THEIR speeches. Heck, it probably goes back to Nero and Ghengis Khan. Well maybe not Khan.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 06:59 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

For a right winger, you should do TRUST the government... Makes no sense to me
    Dude, you trust them with my healthcare, and that makes no sense to me either.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Don't worry Speech and Tom I already reported you two. They will be showing up to your doors on the Sundays we play each other in fantasy football. You have been warned!
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Hey NeedKarma thanks but I see at least two other voices of reason here.

Nothing about any of this is new in history. Before the internet, politicians had staff and volunteers do newspaper and magazine clipping and take notes on TV, radio, and live speeches so that they could quote and bash them in THEIR speeches. Heck, it probably goes back to Nero and Ghengis Khan. Well maybe not Khan.
    If this had been the Bush administration doing this the tone would be much different. The left would be crying foul and holding their breath until they turned blue, but since it's Obama they fall in line like good little soldiers.

But hey, it is good entertainment as well because in addition to being creepy, it makes him the butt of many jokes.

@thorninaz: "#attackwatch I saw someone purposely squeeze the Charmin in the grocery store."

@Libertarian_ish: "Every time a TSA Agent gives your privates a "high five" an #attackwatch angel of death is born!"

@JoeNYLaw: "Dear #attackwatch: After we turn in our children for thinking illegal thoughts about our Dear Leader, can we say Hi to Minister Goebells?"

@BradThor: "If only the #Obama administration could create an atmosphere where jobs materialized as quickly as #attackwatch jokes!"
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Don't worry Speech and Tom I already reported you two. They will be showing up to your doors on the Sundays we play each other in fantasy football. You have been warned!
    That's what it's going to take because my team is invincible. By the way, next time you get a good coach's speech put it on our message board.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    That's what it's gonna take because my team is invincible.
    Hello Steve;

Come Monday morning, I'm going to be feasting on creamed doughnuts.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Hello Steve;

Come Monday morning, I'm gonna be feasting on creamed doughnuts.

excon
    Yeah and you thought you were going have a cheeseburger this year, too. How's that workin' for you?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
    The President needs all the help he can get. Just yesterday he was crying to a college crowd... "If you love me, you've got to help me pass this bill!”
    That of course would be the non-bill that hasn't been filed in Congress yet. That would be the bill that Senate Majority leader Harry Reid has already indicated he wouldn't bring up for a vote.

Not that I blame him. He has 20 something members of his caucus up for re-election next year. The last thing they want to own is another stimulus boon doggle .

Yeah report me!! I encourage eveyone to report my posts to AttackWatch . What better way to bring exposure to AMHD!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Yep, report my posts too!
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
    I signed up yesterday and still haven't received anything. They're either on to me or ignoring me because I didn't donate. I'm guessing the latter.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
    At least one prominent liberal is being honest about this, Editor of The Nation and MSNBC weekend host Christopher Hayes.

If I'm honest w/ myself, I probably would have gone apesh*t (fairly or unfairly) if George W Bush had launched something like #attackwatch
    Told you so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The stealth regime [ 19 Answers ]

Who can forget that before passing Obamacare, Nancy Pelosi said they'd have to pass it before we could know what was in it. She's proving that to be the case more and more. Today, Congress passed financial reform legislation and the "teary-eyed" guy who led the charge, Chris "Countrywide" Dodd...

New regime 2? [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I'm on the retin a and hq regime... But I'm going to buy more retin a in at a lower percentage maybe 0.5 to reduce the irritation/face loating/pain lol But I have also bought the f&w Serum Exclusive Whitenizer and f&w Gel Crème Exclusive Whitenizer I'm also using tea tree oil foaming...

New regime [ 47 Answers ]

OK so I know your all having a go at weezing about the bio claire but they have a new product called bio claire maxi tone milk And it has different ingredients listed and it seems to be working diffeferntly The original made my skin raw and white but like it was really dry and thin and not nice ...

Your skin lightening regime [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, guys! What is your current skin lightening regime? And what results do you want to achieve? What do you cleanse, treat and moisturise with? Whatever it is, post it to let us all know! ;) I am currently trying to achieve even toned skin. My current skin lightening regime:

View more questions Search