Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
    How to get publicity for my novel?
    I've recently had my first novel published and I'm thrilled. I've been getting good reviews and so far, no-one has asked for her money back.

What I'm wondering is what is the best way to get publicity for it? How do I encourage people to buy it without spamming them or making a nuisance of myself?

I keep hearing that I should be using Facebook and Twitter, but I only the normal number of friends on those, and I'm not going to pester them.

Any suggestions?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Is it an e-book? Self-published or traditional publisher?
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2011, 11:55 AM
    It's an e-book now, up on Amazon, B&N and a couple of other websites. Coming out as a paperback in 2012. Traditionally published, but by a small publisher which doesn't have a big marketing budget.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I should have said, some newspapers did a story on me, so I've actually been stopped in the street and asked for my autograph. But it didn't do anything to improve sales, because newspapers don't have the "click a link" factor.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
    As a marketing person, I would say you need to look at several things before trying to execute a marketing plan.

1. Price point. Many ebook novels have sold at very low cost; $0.99 to $2.99 with great success.

2. Cover Art. You need to invest ($3 - $500) in a professionally designed cover that will grab attention. There are graphic artists that do this type of work for epubs.

3. Determine the audience. Is this a mass appeal? Teen? Mystery? This determines how you talk to people and where you talk to them.

After that, the biggest thing you can do is start a blog. A blog is a powerful tool in your "word of mouth" campaign. Tie your twitter and Facebook accounts back to the blog, the blog to the twitter and Facebook and start looking for people that like your type of writing, (demographics).

Does this make sense? You need to find your fanatics - they are out there!
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Thanks.

It's priced $2.99 or $3.50 depending on where you buy it.

I've got a cover that was done for me by Angela Knight, and I think it pops off the page, even in thumbmail.

I have a website and blog occasionally, but I can tell from my website exit page that it's not producing sales. My personal feeling is that blogging about writing is not going to attract readers. What could I blog about that would attract readers?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    What could I blog about that would attract readers?
    What's the traffic like for your blog?

Do you know other bloggers who will mention your book?

Find people who will read your book and review it on Amazon, B&N. (Or have you already?) ***ADDED*** I see you have.

What is the book about? Fiction or non-fic? Is it the YA novel featuring Cytolene?

Public libraries look for e-books they can buy and feature on their web sites, and YA books are hot downloads.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
    I would do price point testing, and test between 0.99 and 2.99 tops, and see if the total number of sales increases to not just cover, but surpass the possible sales activity at higher prices.

The reason a blog is powerful is its ability to provide a content magnet for search engines.

What are you blotting about, how often per week are you blogging, on your Twitter account, what do you tweet about, what do you say in your bio?

Now I'm getting into territory I normally start billing for :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Wondergirl. Yes, it's a YA science fiction story about Cytolene. And yes, I've got good reviews, including one from Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.

I'm going to ask my local libraries if they will stock it, they are beginning to do e-books, and I'll see about doing readings there. One problem I've discovered is that my target readership (teens) usually don't have credit cards or e-readers. They do have pocket/babysitting money, but will use it to buy a paperback, not an e-book.

Cliff, the publisher has set the price, I can't alter it. I know some other bloggers who do mention it, but they all blog about writing and I can't see any result.

The best result I got was when I mentioned the book on a breastfeeding website in the middle of the night. Breastfeeding women love e-readers, they can read in the dark during night feeds without having to turn on the light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thank you for publicity [ 4 Answers ]

Need some word to thank a staff writer of a newspaper for covering our political guest speaker at a fundraiser.

Publicity of my business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My question is that how can I do publicity of my business so that I can get more orders of my products? I get more contracts for my firm.

POST production FILM publicity expenses tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is a film producer. He completed production of a film in early 2007. In 2008 he spent money in looking for a distributor. He found a distributor in 2008 and released his film in theater in 2008. So for 2008 he has income from film distribution. At the same time he spent...

Media publicity [ 1 Answers ]

:cool: What do you think? Is media publicity concerning such cases a deterrent to murder?

View more questions Search