Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aforrest44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2011, 01:06 AM
    Can switch lights turn on spontaneously?
    I live in lawrence where I go to school during the summer time. My grandparents are living up North in Minnesota to enjoy the rest of summer in their cabin. I'm staying at their house during the duration of my stay. In the past couple months, my friend was at the house by himself doing homework when he heard certain weird noises and even voice from the upstairs having a conversation while he was downstairs doing homework. He said it could have been an illusion. The other night when I got home to my grandparents house I could hear my grandpa's vacuum going off in the tool shed in the basement from outside in the driveway. Nothing has ever happened like that ever. I was kind of nervous because I didn't know if someone got in the house. I looked in the shed and turned out the vacuum still wondering what the hell turned it on. It kind of freaked me out at the same time. A half an hour passes I turn off the main light in my bedroom then lie down while I'm reading my iPhone. I close my eyes for 15 minutes when all the sudden my main lights turn on then another light turns in the room adjacent to it. I get up and run out of the house get in my car and drive to my buddy's girlfriend house where he is staying with her. I tell them the story and they were as freaked out as me. The next day we go investigate and when we go one of the rooms where the lights turn on the light wasn't on anymore, but a different light in the same room was one which wasn't on when I left the night before. Later that night my friends and I go back to the place and sit in the rooms in darkness to see if any lights turn on or if we notice any strange activity. AFter after 45 minutes nothing happened so we left. During the night we drove past the house 3 times to see if any of the lights turned on and none were on. We even checked at 2:00 in the morning when it happened the previous night but there were still no lights on. Tonight my friend drove past the place around 10:00 pm and the lights were on in the same room where we turned the lights back off. Someone tell me if this is a spirit or an electric problem!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 03:56 AM
    Yes, lights can switch on spontaneously, especially during a power outage, or a transformer in the neighbourhood malfunctioning.

Tick
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Many times switches , especially older ones, can be affected by extraneous sources of electricity and be caused to "switch on".

Cool humid days can cause much increased levels of static electricity that is a possible cause. What was the weather like when this happened ?

Are there any high power lines close by? This could be the cause. Or a radio transmitter that is close . Radio station or ham even cb radios can affect electrical devices .

I have experienced paranormal events and have no doubt they happen.
    But...
    Look at these or similar causes first. You might even keep a log of when it happens and find a pattern that can lead to the answer.

I am not ruling out paranormal , but find the possibility as of now very slim.

Keep us posted on what's going on . Whatever it is , I'm confidant we can find out.

Sep 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I will investigate the physical causes of the incident such as power outrages or some other electrical malfunction. What if I unplug the lamps in the room? Can a light bulb turn on even when it's not plugged into any electrical source?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aforrest44 View Post
    thanks for your responses. I will investigate the physical causes of the incident such as power outrages or some other electrical malfunction. What if I unplug the lamps in the room? Can a light bulb turn on even when it's not plugged into any electrical source?
    Its possible. But it happens more often with fluorescent lights.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Sep 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Califdadof3 is right... if these are fluorescent lights, those can put off light fairly easy compared to other bulbs. If you're talking regular light bulbs... there just isn't a "reasonable" explanation for those turning on and off, high static levels or not. Those operate on the premise of physical contact in the switches. I'd still keep my eyes out for someone possibly turning the lights on and off... beyond that you MAY be experiencing something paranormal. Let us know what you find...

Sep 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
    I know a lady who had a similar situation happen to her and she got this response from Yahoo.

Best Response: Odds are you have a loose wire and it could vary well be in the panel but it is more likely a bad splice in the wire some place else.I would advise a homeowner to stay out of the panel but if you must turn the mainbreaker off and tighten the screw on every wire in the panel.If that doesn't fix the problem you are going to have to Identify which breaker controls that circuit and shut it off.Take note of all receptacles that are not working now also and take the covers off so you will not forget which ones they are.A small lamp with a good bulb is the best way to check it.Check the switch box closest to the panel and open it up and look for loose or burned wires.Take note that the white wire or neutral could very well be the problem also and the problem could be in a receptacle also especially if they used the receptacle as a splicing device.Physically pull on every wire that is spliced to make sure you have a good connection.If you can pull one out it is not a good connection.You will probably find some charred wires or wiring device[switch or receptacle] because of heat buildup.You have a fire in the making and it's not if but when so don't play around too long.I prefer Ideal Wing Nuts for splicing if you have to splice any bad connections and if you have to tape wires because of charring use Scotch33+.Also if you do shut the main breaker down turn off all of the breakers also and when you are done turn the main back on first and then the other breakers to avoid a power surge.Good luck but you really should have a professional fix it.It is your family that you would be protecting

What do you think I should do?
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Sep 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
    I would not advise anyone to do anything other than flip the breaker switches if necessary.
    Also if a wire were compromised there it would affect all the switches and outlets on that breaker. Not just one.

Switches are made for physical contact but over time and with wear , rust , dust , the gap may become smaller to the extent of being triggered by vibration, static , or changing temp. and humidity or sun spots.

I would find a qualified electrician and remove that speculation first.

Sep 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
    That is A+ #1 advice... the very first step to figure this out should be to have a QUALIFIED electrician check out the wiring and switches. Nothing can really be ruled out until that stuff is officially checked.
    Alir001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
    If it is old wiring, or done poorly it is entirely possible that the wires could be being "backfed".
    If this is the case call an electrician over to test your household wiring. It is very quick and easy for someone with the know-how to do.
    If it is faulty wiring then you may save yourself from a electrical fire.

Sep 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Yes, but back-fed lights do not activate themselves when nobody is home. This sounds fishy beyond faulty wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

I turn on the switch and the lights won't go on, why? [ 1 Answers ]

I see that my dining room and my 2 kitchen lights are all on the same circuit. I turn their individual switch on and they won't go on. I checked the circuit breaker, it is not tripped... the bulbs are all good... I hope it is not a fire hazard. Thanks for your help. Cher

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

View more questions Search