Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bru777ce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
    97 camry stops running
    My 97 camry stops running while your driving it. After it sits for 15 or 20 minutes it starts back up.When it stops running and you try to start the car It smells like it is flooded. The engine cranks over but it will not start. I replaced the coil packs and the fuel filter. Im wondering if this could be the fuel pump or is the timing belt checking out. The engine is a four cylinder and is has 140,000 miles.I was told the timing belt had been replaced but the owner could not prove it. Any ideas
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2011, 07:09 AM
    You may need to determine if you still have spark when the vehicle is a no-start.
    You may have an Ignition Control Module that is overheating and shutting down.
    Do you have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)? If it was caused by the timing belt, it would not "time out" as you've described.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Your problem is the CTS (coolant temp sensor) It will "think" the engine is cold and inject more fuel when the fuel trims should be more lean.
    We call this intermittent open CTS.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
    Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough, flood the engine, and waste a tremendous amount of fuel.
    bru777ce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Thanks for all the great advice. The car is at the shop and I mentioned the sensors. That is where they are going to start. I sure hope this will be the cure. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water stops running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well and septic. Recently, the hot water has stopped running shortly after turning on and then after a bit (less than a minute) it comes on with full pressure. The kitchen has never had the water pressure that the rest of the house has, what could cause this? I also get a gurgling...

Shower stops running [ 3 Answers ]

Our shower just shuts off by itself after 1 minute. When using the shower, the water runs for about 60 seconds and then just stops. The water is still on and will run in the bath if we turn the knob, but when we turn it back to the shower it's still stopped. When left alone for a while and the...

Goodman furnace problems when running the ac it starts stops starts stops [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goodman furnace 98% efficient it works fine on heat but when I run the ac unit it will run fine for an hour or three but then it will start stoping and starting the blower motor I have changed the transformer the blower motor the door switch anyone have any idea why it does this any help...

1995 Toyota Camry shut off while running. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 Toyota Camry (6 cyl). I had a new water pump and timing belt put on in Nov 08. I also had a new axle put on in Dec 08. Every since my water pump/timing belt were replaced, my car has made some funny noises on the front passenger side of the engine. For the past 2 or 3 days, I've...

Outside condenser stops running [ 3 Answers ]

Condenser unit outside stopped running. I turned off power to furnace changed battery in thermostat. Turned power back to furnace. Checked voltage at thermostat wires in furnace. Showed good power to thermostat. Checked voltage at power panel for the condenser unit. Reset the breaker. Pulled out...

View more questions Search