Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Redbull1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 06:04 AM
    F1 to H1b as a Single Canadian
    I am a Canadian citizen. I have worked with OPT status until June of 2006 in Michigan and switched to H1b and has been working in Maryland since July 2006. I filed as 1040NR in 2005 but I do not know how I should handle this year. The portion of 2006 where I was non-resident alien had only my Federal tax withheld. However, W-2 issued during the portion of 2006 (from July to December 2006 with H1b status) shows both federal and social security wages being withheld.

How should I file the tax? Am I still non-resident or dual status? If I am still non-resident, what should I do about all the taxes that has been withheld between July and December 2006?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I need to know the EXACT date your H-1B went into effect.

If it become effective on or before 1 July 2006, then you MUST file as a dual-status alien, because then you met the Substantial Presence Test prior to 31 Dec 06.

If it became effective on or after 2 July 2006, then you CAN file as dual-status, but you may still file as a non-resident alien.

The taxes will probably be the same either way, and the non-resident alien option is much easier to file!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

F1 to H1B taxes, spouse on H1B throughout [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My spouse has been on a H1 B for the past 5 years. We are both from India. I was on a H4 visa till Sept of 2003 and moved to an F1 at the end of the year. We filed a joint return that year. We did the same for 2004 although I did have a W-2 from the School. At the end of July 2005, I...

Out of Country (during H1B) and Change from F1 to OPT to H1B [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, First of all a great service and a great site with loads of useful information. Here is my scenario: Dec 2003 to May 2005 - F1 Status June 2005 to Sept 2005 - OPT (F1) Status Oct 1, 2005 to Dec 2005 - H1B status My company sent me to its branch in INDIA office for a special project...

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

View more questions Search