Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiousgeorge1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
    Ownership of real estate company
    Can someone own a real estate company (brokerage) and not be a real estate agent or broker, but hire a broker instead?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
    The issue is, that unless you have a license you can't receive any part of the commission,

But the issue is easy to solve, the real estate agent test is very easy to do. ** and of course if you don't know the business you could not help or do anything in your own business.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge1 View Post
    Can someone own a real estate company (brokerage) and not be a real estate agent or broker, but hire a broker instead?
    Sure someone can own the business and not have a license to be a real estate agent. The owner just can't perform the duties of a licensed real estate agent or broker.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
    I am sorry twinkiedooter but the issue will still be payment. I would assume the business would have to be set up as a corporation but a real estate company has to be licensed under a broker or set of brokers, the brokers are the ones paid, and the ones who has the duty to set up escrow accounts.

The brokers could perhaps pay for use of space, but a non licensed person could not receive or be paid in any way from the commission of the sale of the property.

Note I have held my insurance license in several states and while you may live in a state that allows this, I am not aware of any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best form of ownership for real estate broker [ 2 Answers ]

If I was starting a real estate broker what would be the best way to start it? Sole proprietor, or a corporation. etc...

Ownership of real estate in west town chicago area [ 3 Answers ]

I have a client interested in making an offer on a 3 unit building located at 525 N Marshfield Ave in Chicago, IL. Two of the units are listed on the multiple listing service and are for sale but I need to know who owns unit #2 in order to make an offer?

Joint ownership in real estate [ 1 Answers ]

I Live in Florida and own a home free & clear with my spouse. Because of my health, I have had two Lung cancer surgery's and am under constant medical care, I cannot work. In order to meet my financial obligations it is imperitive we sell our home, however my spouse refuses. We are joint owners and...

NJ Real Estate Ownership [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NJ and married for 2.5 yrs now. We live with my mom-dad who currently own the house that all of us are in (total 4 adults living under one roof owned by my parents). As I said my parents own the house but when we signed the mortgage paperwork, our broker had said I am listed as a borrower...

Co-Ownership of Real Estate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting my house now for 1125$ which is a lot. I can only do it, because I have room mates who I know and trust for many years. We've been room mates for awhile now, and since I've been deployed I will be getting the VA Home loan benefits (5.625% fixed). I would love to buy the house right...

View more questions Search