Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naiomi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Dash lights won't go off and battery goes flat
    Since putting a new battery in the car the dash lights won't go off and the speedo not working. It is a new battery and after a month of driving with the dash light on it went flat and more so when I use the lights at night! Any clues? Subaru leone 1986
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Thoughts:

1. Check/replace combination light switch.
    2. Check/replace dash light brightness controller.
    3. Reading the link below may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post241804

Feb 4, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naiomi
    Since putting a new battery in the car the dash lights wont go off and the speedo not working. it is a new battery and after a month of driving with the dash light on it went flat and moreso when I use the lights at night! any clues? Subaru leone 1986
    The lights that I am referring to are the warning lights ie; oil, battery/alternator, water etc... When the ignition is on these lights lite up red and go off when the car is started. The problem is they are not going off at all and only when the ignition if swithched off. I figured that because the battery/alternator light is,nt going off after time the battery goes flat if only I can get then to go off!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 07:56 AM
    It may be ECM-related; therefore, you may want to get it checked out. Lights like this staying on are often a sign of problems with the computer.
    huskyjjc Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Is the alternator charging the batt? If there is not a good 12v source at all times the ecm can go a little crazy

Feb 6, 2007, 02:14 AM
    No its not charging the battery which is a new one! and once I switch the lights on it dies on me! What causes foam which has built up on the negative terminal?
    huskyjjc Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Feb 6, 2007, 08:56 AM
    You could have a bad batt. New or not. But if alternator is not charging that needs to be looked at

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dash Lights [ 1 Answers ]

So many of the lights in my dash have burned out that I can't see how fast I'm going at night! In the repair books it shows six screws on the face plate of the instrument cluster, mine doesn't have any. Anyone familiar with this? 1991 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Thanks

Portable Jump Starter doesn't charge flat battery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the Yellow Portable Jump Starter with Air Compressor, The problem is I have charged it fully and it always stays at 13 on the meter Which is in the green which is supposed to be good. When my cars battery goes flat it doesn't charge the battery, doesn't do anything, But it...

Lights on dash won't work [ 2 Answers ]

Can u tell me why the lights on my 97 chevy venture won't work ?

96 Civic dash lights failure [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I was driving at night and my dash board lights went out (head lights still on). I messed with the dimmer switch for the dash lights and they came back on. The next time I drove they went out again and I couldn't get them to come on again. Now I have the dimmer set to max (meaning I...

Civic 2000 no dash lights and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem in that I get no ignition light in the dash or any other lights(Air-bag, ABS and the key symbol etc) that used to come on when the key is turned to ignition, but other ignition dependent things like radio central locking work. Checked all the fuses both under the hood and...

View more questions Search