Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2011, 04:44 AM
    Steering VERY stiff when not (or slowly) moving.
    When I am trying to steer while not moving, or moving at a crawl - such as backing out of a parking space or "jockeying" into a small area - my steering is sometimes VERY stiff.

Sometimes I have to rev my engine to get it to work at all.

My steering fluid is level.

It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I'm concerned.

My car is a 2009 [This is a correction. I originally said that it is a 1999] Saturn Vue.

1. Is there something that I can do on my own?

2. Is this something that I should get to a mechanic now - before it gets worse?

I will add this: When I bought the car about a little over a year ago, the steering made a slight "wheezing" noise when I tried to steer when not moving... but it did NOT get sluggish like it is now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 12, 2011, 05:34 AM
    It sounds like the steer pump may be going out. Another thing could be a sticking bypass valve. Either way you should have it looked at. If this is rack&pinion steering then it may be time for another rack.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Thanks. I'll check with GM (who now handles Saturn) to see if I still have a warranty - and what they would charge for a diagnosis.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2011, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Thanks. I'll check with GM (who now handles Saturn) to see if I still have a warranty - and what they would charge for a diagnosis.
    Any GM dealership should be able to accommodate your car. Call ahead though.
    Your symptoms do sound to me as if the power steering pump is suffering from internal wear and the pressurized fluid is being bypassed though I have seen worn rack spool seals do similar things when cool.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Before taking it to the dealer, take a battery squeeze bulb and suck out as much fluid as you can. Refill with Valvoline Power Steering Fluid to the proper level. Repeat this procedure again in a week, if you sense it's improving the situation. I recommend partially changing power steering fluid every 40,000 miles. Amsoil makes a superb full synthetic power steering fluid that meets GM's specifications, which is ideal for tough Ohio winters.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Thanks, Tx. I'll try that before taking it to the dealer.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2011, 09:40 AM
    Rick, I have a Saturn tech standing right next to me reading this. He says there was no Vue built in '99.
    Did you post that right?

Edit:I sure see a lot of them when I Google it. (I'm going to get that guy) knot head!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
    Oh GEEZ. I fumble fingered the year. It's a 2009 Saturn Vue.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
    Then yes if it's a 2009 take it to the dealer. There may have been a recall on your car. In 2010 there were a lot of GM cars that got recalled for a steering issue. I believe yours has the electric steer assist module. You need to have that checked.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
    It's not likely power steering fluid on such a new vehicle. It will likely require taking it in for service.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2011, 04:33 AM
    I did see that the p/s fluid is milky... and then I did some googling and found that the best way to change it would be to drain and bleed it.

I'm having a buddy mechanic do that this morning.

Also, I'll call GM to see if there's a recall and see if the power steering pump is still under warranty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stiff wrist [ 2 Answers ]

So I got a new job, a desk job constantly using a mouse, and I have developed very stiff wrist. Is there any stetches/ exercises to lossen it and keep it moving freely

Thoughts on this? Going so well, but moving slowly. [ 4 Answers ]

I am completely and totally smitten with this guy I met off Match.com. He is a gem! He started talking to me mid-December, we ended up talking online every day(often for hours) early on. It moved slowly. We didn't even speak on the phone until 3 weeks in and met in person about a month after...

Stiff Neck [ 1 Answers ]

For the past two days, I have had a stiff neck! I just now felt what seems to be a lump on my neck area connecting to my shoulder. When I put pressure on it, it is sore. Any suggestions?? God Bless, Ginger Rogers :)

Moving on slowly,but where to start? [ 18 Answers ]

This may be long... I think I am moving on from my past, but things get in the way. I feel like I cannot enjoy life, don't get me wrong I'm happy, but I feel I shouldn't be, like I don't deserve it. Without going into all the gory details... My mother had been a drug addict for as long as I...

View more questions Search