Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2011, 08:56 AM
    What is the proper prayer to say at a wedding rehearsal dinner?
    I have been asked to give the prayer at rehearsal dinner, and I am not sure what to say. Can you please give me some guidance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Goodness, what function will wedding planners dole out next? The servers have food ready to serve, and the people are hungry, no matter how religious they are, so just keep it short. Usually grace is about food and thankfulness and the gathering of people (ours ended with 'and make us ever mindful of the needs of others.') But this event isn't about bountiful harvest or charity, so I would say two sentences about blessing the two loving people and their wonderful families that are joining together.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2011, 09:41 AM
    I'm a preacher's kid and agree with Joy. Keep it short and thank God not only for the food but for the upcoming union of two families.

Here's a sample prayer you can adapt to your own religious beliefs:

Lord God, Creator of the universe, Father of us all, we have gathered here around this dinner table to celebrate the love and commitment that will unite [Name] and [Name] in a wonderful bond of marriage.

Bless, Father, this food that we are about to receive with grateful hearts as a sign of your continuous bounty and providence.

May your generous blessing descend also upon [Name] and [Name], their families, and their friends present here at this joyful banquet.

We make this prayer in the name of Jesus our Lord and Savior, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2011, 05:11 PM
    So I take it, the pastor doing the wedding is not invited ( he would do it, and this would not be a issue)

But prayer can depend on what faith, Christian, Islam, Jewish, and even more divisions there. Will there be people at the dinner who may be offended by some wording ?

Simple and short

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is proper wear for a 4pm wedding. [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got an invitation from a cousin in California who is getting Married in September. The wedding is to be a 4pm wedding outdoors with an outdoor reception to follow. The only suggestion about attire was that ladies wear flats and not heals as the ground is fairly soft. What would be...

Proper wedding dress [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding that will be at 7:00 p.m. and reception/dinner after. Question: Please advise the proper dress for an evening wedding.

Rehearsal wedding [ 4 Answers ]

My son is getting married in another state. I am paying for the rehearsal dinner. I have four other children ranging in age from 25-13. Only the 25 year old will be in the wedding party. I have asked what the plans are for the rehearsal dinner, and my son's fiancé has only told me that she and her...

Proper way to go about courthouse /church wedding [ 6 Answers ]

What is the proper why to approach this my daughter has decided to marry her soilder at the courthouse in order to be able to go with him to germany.But would like to have a wedding ceremony for family and friends next year.Is this common or will be think wrong of her

View more questions Search