Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgagnon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2011, 04:58 AM
    Knocking noise in pipes when using plumbing
    We are on a well system and there has been knocking noises when we flush the toilets and the faucets spit the water out when we turn them on. We turned off the well and ran all the faucets out and it worked great for a day. Now it sounds worse than before. Any suggestions?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Sep 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
    You have what is called water hammer effect on your pipes, you can buy a water hammer arrestor at your local home center, follow the instalation instructions that come with it and you should be good to go
    Hope this helps
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 12, 2011, 02:20 AM
    What type of well tank do you have, pressure or bladder?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
    I can't buy into water hammer, (sorry Lilpoppa) Water hammer does not spit air out of a faucet.
    I agree with Harold, tell us more about your well system. Has the water been muddy or colored ? Which might mean the water table has dropped and your pump is sucking air and silt. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating - Pipes knocking Noise [ 2 Answers ]

I'm renting this old house and each time I put the Heat on (Gas Furnace). It starts the knocking/banging noise from the vents. Like TAK TAK TAK. When I shut the heater off It goes away. Some times it bangs for few minutes and then it restart. Cannot sleep. Please advise how to get rid of it....

Water pipes knocking on upper floor, after pipes burst [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - recently, my water pipes froze and burst, flooding my basement. I've had the pipes repaired. Now, when I turn on the hot water in my upstairs (2nd floor) sink, there's a knocking/clunking after I turn the hot water off. Its only the hot water (doesn't do it with cold water). When I...

Knocking Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever we turn on a faucet or any appliance that uses water, the pipes make a loud knocking sound and the water spurts instead of flowing freely. We have tried turning on all the water at the same time and it stops when all faucets and toilets are running but when we only turn on one faucet the...

Pipes knocking [ 1 Answers ]

My home is three years old, large (4600 sq.ft.) and when water is run in the master bath shower or the commode is flushed, we get "hammering" or vibration in the pipes above the kitchen where the long span runs across. The hammering is almost a "clicking" sound and I've wondered if this could be:...

View more questions Search