Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parti94 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Water heater not keeping water hot
    My 3-4 year old gas water heater is not keeping the water hot, only warm, when no hot water has been used during the day. Once some hot/warm water has been used I have a lot of 140 degree water. Is there somethng simple that need to be adjusted?
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Feb 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parti94
    My 3-4 year old gas water heater is not keeping the water hot, only warm, when no hot water has been used during the day. Once some hot/warm water has been used I have a lot of 140 degree water. Is there somethng simple that need to be adjusted?
    If it is a 2 element water heater one element could be burned out. Very simple to replace, that can help you at your local hardware store.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Corriehac, Did you notice that he had a GAS HEATER? That being said, I would check the thermostat. It doesn't want to maintain temperature when not making a draw. When you make a draw it pulls cold water into the heater forcing the burner to kick on and bring the water up to temperature.
    Also if you don't flush your heater on a regular basis it will build up minerals on the floor that will act as insulation and not will only cut down on the heat from the burner but will increase your energy bill. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Feb 3, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Thanks for the info Tom. How does one check a thermostat? Is that something anyone can do or do I need to call in a pro?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Thermostats are inexpensive so just replace it. Let me know how you make out. Regards, Tom

Mar 3, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Thanks Tom. That did the trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

New Water Heater But still no hot water [ 8 Answers ]

I had no hot water, so I went to a major home improvement store (HIS) to see how I could check the thermostat. Upon the advice of the sales clerk, I bought a hot water heater (HWH) as well as the professional installation service. It was installed on Thursday of last week, and when I got home from...

Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.

Hot water heater help [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced my electric hot water heater. I think the coil burned out on the old one. I bought a Whirlpool 12yr and it has the "diagnostics" on it. I connected everything, filled it with water, then turned on the power... no green light.. no power. The line coming in has power. It runs off a...

View more questions Search