Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zebeelou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2011, 12:36 PM
    What does a "POS Unconfirmed" result mean on a urine THC Test?
    This test has a 50ng/ml cutoff rate. The reference range says negative.

The line item on the test results reads like this:

Collected Reference Range
    UR Cannabinoids ### POS Unconfirmed NEGATIVE

Cutoff Value 50ng/mL
    Unconfirmed screening results should not be used for non-medical purposes

Can anyone tell me what this means?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
    50 ng is the standard cutoff for cannabinoids.

1) this was a drug screen. That is step one in a drug test. It is conducted by an immunoassay (IA). If the sample tests negative, the test ends and it is reported as negative. If however there is a positive result then proper protocol requires that the IA positive be confirmed by more precise instruments (generally GC/MS or equivalent).

There are a couple of reasons that might explain the excerpts you provided:

1) a positive result but under the 50 ng cutoff.
    2) a positive result on the IA negative on GC/MS
    3) a positive result on the IA but the requesting party does not contract for or authorize the more expensive confirmation test.

Items 1 & 2 seem less likely based on the wording provided but are possible.

If you can provide a little more information it might be possible to narrow it down:

Was this a workplace test, pre-employment, etc?
    Name of testing laboratory?
    Where the symbol ### exists was there a number there on your copy?

Sep 10, 2011, 12:24 PM
    I uploaded the report, there are a few things on there, such as an AB for abnormal, #3 is definitely not it, we met our deductable on our health insurance and during this visit every test under the sun was done, the whole visit was over 10,000. My guess is your #1 option is what it means. Take a look and let me know what you think, thanks for your help!

Sep 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Relaoded report, hopefully it works this time :)
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Toxicology report.pdf (105.0 KB, 426 views)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Hello z:

I don't know about all that technical stuff.. So, let me answer your question this way.. If you're in jail, the test was positive.. If not, you fooled 'em.

excon
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zebeelou View Post
    I uploaded the report, there are a few things on there, such as an AB for abnormal, #3 is definately not it, we met our deductable on our health insurance and during this visit every test under the sun was done, the whole visit was over 10,000. My guess is your #1 option is what it means. Take a look and let me know what you think, thanks for your help!
    Unfortunately the report doesn't help inform me much more than it helped you. This is a hospital based laboratory and unknown to me.

1) you were tested for all of the standard drug classes plus "tricyclics" (non-standard). So they design their own screens. The cutoff ranges are consistent with standard recommendations (SAMHSA-5).
    2) have no idea what "abnormal" means in relation to cannabinoids. Usually, the results are reported as negative or positive. Even sub-threshhold (under cutoff) should be reported simply as negative. So this notation is meaningful only as an internal laboratory standard.
    3) the important part is that all of the results (reference ranges) show as negative.

There are no standardized codes in toxicology between testing laboratories.

It is my suspicion that AB is an instrumental setting that is automatically entered when a reading is out of normal range. It would apply to most lab testing. Low or high creatinine, for instance, low or high red blood cell count etc, etc. The internal instrumental standard is entered as a range (normal). A reading above or below the internal standard would would be interpreted as abnormal AB and the printout would so note. Drug screening would represent only a small portion of hospital lab testing.

But that's just a guess.

Since you paid for this test you are certainly entitled to a full explanation. Why not just call the lab and inquire?

Please let us know what you find out.

Wish I could be of more help. If you have further questions please ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a positive thc test while on probation [ 1 Answers ]

I had a DUI in August of 2009 (my second in 10years) I had positive urine test in August in October I was summons to appear for violation of probation. All my following test trhough the Probation office and my counseling classes have been negative. What can I expect from the judge? I don't have a...

Hair test and THC [ 1 Answers ]

I am really worried because this semester I applied for my clinicals at UWM. I need to take a hair test for it and I never smoke pot, however this last weekend I was at my friends house where a group of guys (5 or so) were smoking out of a bong. I am worried that this will show up in my hair. We...

How long before a dr will see you after a pos urine test? [ 24 Answers ]

We have been trying to conceive for 9 months now, so I decided to give it a break after last month being 17 days late with negative urine test and then getting my period. So, just taking a month off. I had gone to the dr for a regular check up after being so late. He said it was either an early...

Urine test pos, blood negative [ 3 Answers ]

I took a urine pregnancy test last week and it was a faint positive line. I went to the doctor to do blood work and came back negative. So I took another home pregnancy test and again came positive with an darker ovious line indicating I'm pregnant. It showdes up positive 10 minutes later. How...

View more questions Search