My dryer won't start when I push the start button
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 12:26 PM
    Clothes dryer? Gas or electric
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2011, 10:04 PM
    These driers will do that when the lint builds up like concrete on the inside of the air ducts. You need to totally tear it down and scrape out and wash all of the parts except the motor, which you vacuum out. You can go to YouTube to see videos on how to take it apart, but do a very good job or it will fail again quickly. You may need to replace a blown thermal fuse which is near the elements. Check the different safeties to find the one that is bad; they are wired in series. I would get a new belt and change it while you have it apart and get some white lithium grease and grease any bearings you find. You need to clean out a drier every two years, at least, according to the manual. Another possibility is a bad door switch, but it's rare for them to fail. What you have to do is tear it apart and check all safeties and you will find the problem fairly easily with a good ohm meter. Check everything out before you buy any parts and never change a part without checking with an ohm meter to see if the part on the drier is bad. Good Luck. DrTom4444
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 06:31 AM
    One question: What is the model and serial number to your dryer and what brand is it? There have been recalls that may affect you, but cleaning it is most often the solution. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert key start mower to push button start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Snapper riding mower. The pull start motor went out and I bought a key start motor that works and fits it. However, I would like to convert it from a key start to a push button start. Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this?

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore dryer won't start when I push the start button

Kenmore Elite dryer - Push to start, stops when button released [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am having the same problem many of you out there have experienced. I purchased a new Kenmore Elite Electric Dryer 2 years ago. I have read all the responses posted here. I have taken the lower front panel off, totally cleaned the insides, and tested the contacts for continuity that were in...

View more questions Search