Ask
    treycjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 12:21 PM
    Head gasket blown
    Its an mg tf convertible, how much will this cost approx
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
    A lot or a little... depending a lot of information you failed to provide. I know of labor charges that vary from $25 an hour to over $175 an hour. A lot depends on where you live... who you have do the work... and any other problems that will or should be done at the same time.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 02:40 PM
    MG Tf has a very simple 4 cyl pushrod engine, all cast Iron, maybe 11-12 head bolts, 3-4 manifold bolts, tilt back the SU carbs, pull the rocker arm assembly, drain the water, undo the head bolts and it's off. Actually a pretty straight forward DIY job, at least for me, I've done a bunch of MG, TR, etc. Head off in an hour. Real cost may be in any repair/replacement if the head is cracked. If this were my engine, I'd do a valve job too. I'd budget 8-10 hrs labor plus some time to have the head planned, if needed, or at least checked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket? [ 7 Answers ]

I was driving my friends car when I hit a patch of ice and went into a stop sign... we got it home to find out there was a massive hole in the radiator and the car was over heating fast. It seemed a hose came of the radiator because there was anti freeze everywhere. I have replaced the radiator but...

Blown head gasket! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a blown head gasket. I would like to know if it would be best to get it fixed or get a new engine? Why does it cost so much to replace the head gaskets? If I decide to get a engine would it be better to get a new, rebuilt, or used engine?

Blown Head Gasket [ 4 Answers ]

I need information on a Blown Head Gasket. My 2002 Ford Mustang has been running hot for almost a year (beginning last summer and usually only in the summer). We have replaced the thermostat 2x and it will work for a few months then start running hot again. It is now running hot and I took it to...

Blown head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

Wher to start when replacing head gasket on 19995 nissan altima

View more questions Search