Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frien_dd Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Sep 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
    General working Laws plus pub
    Thank you in advance for your time:

My wife works in a pub that serves food.
    She hasn't done any courses, and is left on her own to work and serve food.

My questions are:
    Is she not meant to do these basic courses Health and Safety / Fire / Food and hygiene.
    If she serves food and or hurts here self will she be liable to sue, or if someone sued her for food poisoning what would happen, would she and the business get sued.

Also she was serving up to 100 people the other night and there is no panic button or points of contact to ring if anything goes wrong, it is a very predominate male bar and I am concern and so is she about her well being.

Any references will be greatly appriciated
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
    If she is just a server for a bar, she is not liable; she could do those basic courses if she wanted to upgrade herself, but usually only the people working and cooking the food normally take t hose courses. I have taken them because I do meal prep for clients, so that is directly working with food.

Tick

Sep 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
    She serves customers drinks then if they want food she will take orders. But the food is just Pizzas/burgers/chips (fast food) does she not need a basic food and hygiene certificate?
    Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frien_dd View Post
    She serves customers drinks then if they want food she will take orders. But the food is just Pizzas/burgers/chips (fast food) does she not need a basic food and hygiene certificate?

No

Sep 8, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Sorry she cooks the food puts it in the ovens and fryers etc
    Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 04:01 PM
    Sorry she cooks the food puts it in the ovens and fryers etc
    You didn't say that originally, so why not just tell us the whole story, then yes she should update your paperwork and get all the certs she needs to handle food, proper cooking temps, proper warming temps and everything else. So while she is getting all of this, is that what you want, she can't work and go to school for all of these certification at the same time. Plus she has to investigate just what she needs to get to protect her from liability.

We are all volunteers here, frien, or whoever, and you could have just told the whole story up front and we would not have have spent all this time back and forth. Your original said she just took orders and served the food, so basically, she is running the whole pub and I hope she gets paid big bucks for that.
    Is this what you want us to say ?

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 04:53 PM
    Is she not meant to do these basic courses Health and Safety / Fire / Food and hygiene.
    Hello f:

Check with your local heath department... They're the ones who require it, if it's required. It WOULD be in the US.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Nothing like that around here, so I guess it may depend on where you are at.

If someone gets food poisoning normally the lawyer for them sues everyone, but mainly the establishment, since they have the insurance and money. But in the law suit, the cook, the waitress, maybe even the food supplier will be sued. Certificates or no certificates will not stop a law suit,

Sep 9, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Apologies Tickle

She only works 3 times in the week and is left on her own, she has only worked with the business for 4 months.

In my work place we have to do Health and Safety / Lifting / Fire and Safety as mandatory.

I am going contact my local health department.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 9, 2011, 04:44 AM
    Under UK Law she should have Basic food Hygiene cert AT LEAST.

To be perfectly honest it sounds like she is being taken for a ride here.
    After all she is part time staff yet expected to do EVERYTHING going as well as being left alone!!

Any management that these issue can be brought to?
    Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Under UK Law she should have Basic food Hygiene cert AT LEAST.

To be perfectly honest it sounds like she is being taken for a ride here.
    After all she is part time staff yet expected to do EVERYTHING going as well as being left alone !!!

Any management that these issue can be brought to ??
    It is called Safe Food Handling Certificate and it is the same in Canada and UK. The course is run by the Public Health Department (the same people who inspect public eateries for cleanliness and vermin control) in every community. The course covers proper temps to cook and store food, proper storage techniques to avoid contamination.
    Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 05:40 AM
    It won't be the woman who is doing the serving and cooking who will get in trouble should the establishment ever be inspected, it will be the owners for allowing a business to be run this way.
    Tick

Sep 9, 2011, 06:10 AM
    CurlyBen that's an answer I was after
    Food Standards Agency - Background to the 2006 food hygiene legislation
    Have you a better link than mine above on the rules.

Defiantly taking her for a ride and its annoying me. My wife doesn't like confrontation but I want to get evidence together and go in there, but understand what I am going to say.

I am not sure but do you not need someone first aid trained to be working at all times the bar is open?
    Expert

Sep 9, 2011, 06:36 AM
    CurlyBen thats an answer I was after
    Food Standards Agency - Background to the 2006 food hygiene legislation
    Have you a better link than mine above on the rules.

Defiantly taking her for a ride and its annoying me. My wife doesn't like confrontation but I wanwww.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/.../Training%20for%20food%20handlers.pdfwww.eppingfore stdc.gov.uk/.../Training%20for%20food%20handlers.pdft to get evidence together and go in there, but understand what I am going to say.

I am not sure but do you not need someone first aid trained to be working at all times the bar is open?

I believe this is what you are looking for. It is a pdf file of the UK government explains rules and regs for food handling.

Why can't your wife just quit if this is getting too complicated?
    http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/......20handlers.pdf

If you can't access the link it is in Google under 'Training of Food Handlers - the legal Requirements'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the laws regarding per diem when working out of town? [ 4 Answers ]

What are the laws regarding per diem when working out of town?

Felony and working in health care careers, PA laws [ 1 Answers ]

What are the laws for people with felony convictions working in Health Care in PA?

Driver's License Laws in General [ 9 Answers ]

If you have a permit and a certificate saying you completed the required 5 hours course from New York then move to another state, can you take the road test in the new state? Or do you have to retake the permit test and 5 hours course before you are eligible to take the road test in the new state?...

Pub files [ 7 Answers ]

I received an e-mail with two pub files attached. I can no open them. I am using windows xp and my adobe will not open them. I do not want to purchase anything to open just these two files . Any help would be great.

Alty's Pub, Come one, Come all. [ 1501 Answers ]

Greetings and welcome to Alty's Pub, your after hours spot to unwind and have a pint.:) So pull up a stool, relax and order a drink. The sky's the limit and anything goes (with the drinks that is).:p Would you like a Beer, in a glass or in the bottle? How about a fancy drink with a little...

View more questions Search