Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a1maddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Can sodium bicarbonate mixed with water ever be an acidic solution?
    I have acid erosion damage to my teeth and use a bicarb mouth rinse (half tspn or so in glass of water). My dentist told me to stop doing this, claiming Sodium bicarbonate is an amphoteric substance with both acidic and basic (alkaline) properties. The correct concentration in a solution is important in order to reduce any likelihood of acidity". Is it possible that mixing bicarb with water can ever be acidic? If so, how would it occur as I have to be careful not to cause further acid damage by using an acidic rinse! Thanks so much for any help.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 7, 2011, 09:03 PM
    When dissolved in water, the NaHCO3 splits into Na+ and HCO3-. I think the latter can then react with water as:

OH- is, of course, the hydroxyl ion, which is what makes it predominantly alkaline. H2CO3, however, is carbonic acid. Perhaps this is the starting point for a potentially acidic solution?

Hopefully Dr. Bob or Unknown008 will chime in and provide some better insight here. They're the real chemistry experts.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 09:30 AM
    It is to be noted that HCO3 is both acidic and alkaline, as shown by this equation:

An acid is defined as a proton donor, and HCO3 gives a proton (hydrogen cation).
    It can also accept a proton (to act as a base/alkali) depending on the situation.

And of course, since H2CO3 can give two protons, it's even more acidic than HCO3 :rolleyes:

But the equation I posted above is what is the easiest to occur.

Your dentist is correct. Maybe you should try something else? I know for instance that Mint is alkaline.

I googled for a site and found this:
    http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/acid_alkaline_foods_list.html

It's a good site to read and if you do a quick search for mint, you'll get a small paragraph containing alkaline food. And scrolling further downs gives you a huge table of foods classified into alkaline and acidic :)
    susan boyle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 06:02 AM
    My blonde teacher mixed a teaspoon of bicarb and 2 capfuls of water and expected a reaction. How did she ever become a ks2 teacher?
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Nov 7, 2012, 05:46 PM
    As the salt of a weak acid, bicarbonate is a weak base. In the presence of a strong base (OH-) it can act as an acid, but as far as your mouth is concerned it has no acidic properties whatsoever.
    I'd be concerned that its basic nature could perhaps cause erosion, but my dentists have always said it is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equation:reaction between iron(II) solution, conc sulphuric acid and bicarbonate [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone give me the equation for the following please? 25 ml of iron(II) solution were pipetted into a conical flask, 5 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid were added and 1g of bicarbonate was added rapidly. What reacts with what and can you give me the equations associated with thereactions...

Balancing reaction of Sodium bicarbonate and sulfuric acid [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to balance the equation for the reaction of sodium bicarbonate and sulfuric acid. This is what I have gotten so far: 2 NaHCO3 + 2 H2SO4 ---> 2NaSO4 + 3 H2O + 2CO2 I am trying to figure out where I went wrong, because I have more oxygen atoms on the product side, than on the...

Why sodium get burn in water? [ 7 Answers ]

Can any body tell me why sodium metal start to burn when add with water?

Determining net ionic equation in an acidic solution [ 1 Answers ]

I need help writing the net ionic equation for the reaction of permanganate ion with tin(II) ion in an acidic solution. Please and thanks in advance :)

Sodium fluoride solution [ 1 Answers ]

Would a dilute or a concentrated sodium fluoride solution have a higher boiling point? Why?

View more questions Search