Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omega_red_08 Posts: 110, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2011, 09:16 AM
    Reimbursed for Braces?
    I think I am getting shafted by an orthodontist. Here is the situation I am in. I purchased braces for my ex-girlfriend in December 2009 as a anniversary, birthday and christmas present. We have since split and she is moved out of state. She never got her braces off or got the retainer we purchased. Here is where I'm having a problem. I paid the orthodontist with a Care Credit card. Since she has moved and is seeing another orthodontist, can I reclaim the money I already paid for the remaining visits and retainer from the orthodontist? What are my rights? I don't want to continue paying for services she isn't receiving.

Thanks in advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
    When you spoke to the orthodontist what was their statement. The real problem was that you are not the patient, and was the credit in both names ?

How much of the money you paid used ? The issue is that I will assume the retainer was made, so I will guess it has to be paid for, if she never gets it or not. And often the largest fee is the first fees, with follow up visits for an amount of time included. So you an talk with the doctors office as to if there is any credit balance or not.

This is why I really recommend not buying costly things on credit for girl friends or boy friends but it is very likely you will have to continue to pay on it. ( or of course what was the agreement, if this was a gift, you are stuck, if on the other hand, she was suppose to pay you back, you could consider suing her for the money )
    omega_red_08 Posts: 110, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
    I understood the risk when I paid for it. Live and learn.

The orthodontist's office has not returned my calls yet. The credit is in my name and the total balance was put on the card. No retainer has been made and the orthodontist never told her exactly when she would get them off. I can tell you for sure there is no credit balance to the orthodontist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the effect of reimbursed in an expense account [ 1 Answers ]

Reimbursed mary graham's business automobile expense for 1000 kilometers at $1.00 per km

Reimbursed Employee Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched the forums for answers about my reimbursed employee taxes and I sure hope someone can help me. I live in one city and work in other, to prevent having to commute on a daily basis I rented an apartment in which my company reimburse me for the rent but not other expenses. I...

Reimbursed utility bills for partner of LLC [ 2 Answers ]

One of three partners in an LLC lives in a different state from where the LLC is located. This partner works out of his home and bills the company for his electric bill that is portioned to his office space that he works out of. On the company books should this amount be expensed? If so, what...

Reimbursed Moving Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

In February, 2006 I transferred from Wisconsin to the New York area. My employer is located in New York City. Also in February, 2006 I contracted on a new residence in New Jersey. Because it was under construction I did not move into it until August, 2006. During the interim period, I lived with...

Employer requesting to be reimbursed for old fica taxes. [ 10 Answers ]

My husband worked as a contractor for 2 years and we would pay our own taxes in installmentsto the IRS ourselves. The state of CA then required the employer to reclassify them as employees for 2005 . They were reclassified as employees in September 2005 but the employer paid his share of ss and...

View more questions Search