Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaos911 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 PM
    Water damage and Asking for More?
    I need assistance with an issue and hope you can provide guidance. I have a downstairs neighbor who suffered water damage when my plumber replaced my bathroom toilet. I went to look at the damage with contractor, and we agreed to repair the section of ceiling and one wall that had water damage/paint disturbance. My neighbor is now demanding that I pay to have the entire bathroom repainted a different color. I told him that I would be happy to repair the damages but he would be respoinsible for renovations to the rest of the bathroom as there was no damage the rest of the area.

Please advise.

Thanks for your time

Mr. A.

Sep 6, 2011, 11:23 PM
    P.S. - I live in Westchester NY if that helps.

Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos911 View Post
    ... I told him that I would be happy to repair the damages but he would be respoinsible for renovations to the rest of the bathroom as there was no damage the rest of the area.
    And you want to know if your approach is the right one? Yes, your neighbor is only entilted to be restored to the position he was in before your contractor did what he did. Assuming your contractor can match the paint, that is all he should be required to do: repair the damage and repaint the surfaces that were affected.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2011, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Assuming your contractor can match the paint,

That's the key here. As AK said, you (actually your contractor) is only required to restore the bathroom to the condition it was in. But matching paint can be difficult. If the repaired area is noticeably different from the other areas, then he may win if it comes to court. It may be easier and cheaper just to paint the whole bathroom. I can't see a bathroom needing more than a gallon of paint (though I'm not a painting expert) and the contractor may be required to buy that much anyway.

Sep 7, 2011, 06:22 AM
    Thanks for the feedback and words of wisdom. I have a follow up to the original.

If there is any dispute about the above repairs and my neighbor asks the insurance company to get involved, then who is legally culpable? I paid for a contractor with his own insurance and I have my own home owners insurance as well. Is he able to go after my homeowners ins? If he does, can I deflect the claim to the contractor's insurance?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2011, 06:55 AM
    He can either put in a claim against the contractor and/or you. Or he can sue you at which you point you turn it over to your insurance carrier, who will probably go after the contractor's insurer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water damage to my property [ 2 Answers ]

My Neighbour has had her garden turned into a scree garden, and my property in on a slope from her garden. When it rains, the water from her garden soaks down into mine, and I now have a water logged lawn, soaking wet and lots of moss. I have had to have my garden re turfed twice, and I am back...

Water damage due to changing water pressure regulator/valve? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Several days ago I had a plummer came to fix the water pressure regulator outside of my house that connects to the street main water supply, within minutes after he fixed it and left we had a water leak inside the house and flooded our wood floor, we called the plumber right away and he came...

Water damage [ 1 Answers ]

My 98 honda civic coupe was flooded water level was up to the door water went in the car my ecu (computer)might have gotten wet it started for about 45 minutes then went dead. Can Anybody Help thanks

View more questions Search