Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abeghanchi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Flat roof rebuild
    I have a semi flat roof about 2800 sq/ft and 12 x 2.5 slope. Originally it was Rubberized roof with 3/4 some cork like sheet insulation and infested with Carpenter Ants as it always leaked bad.10 years back it was replaced with deck and shingles and all other requirements for keeping it dry I.e. Water barrier shield etc. Last winter Ice dams caused major damage to my ceiling which is Tongue and groove wood panels. Now I would like to increase the pitch, install ventilation(there is non) and provide ventilation to the entire roof to avoid any future damage to the inside or outside. I have been recommended Cool-vent panels by Hunter which comes with 2"-4"-6" thickness.I may also need to replace my present chimney or have it removed in favor of gas fireplace.It is a beautiful house and I have already spent over $30,000 10 yrs back. Can some one please guide me what are my best options and what should be the approx cost of the project.
    Thank you,
    Abe Ghanchi
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2011, 04:06 AM
    Your house is something like 40 x 70 and has that low of a pitch?

I can't imagine how you would increase the pitch easily. I would want to rip it all off and build a typical peaked and gabled roof, with floor insulation, trusses, and some combination of ridge vent, gable vents, or roof surface vents, and overhangs, soffits, and gutters. If you want a usable attic, no trusses, rafter insulation to the peak, and air channels to a ridge vent. Or build a ceiling with gable vents above it.

I would get at least 3 quotes from contractors who have known reputations and not necesssarily take the cheapest. Along with the chimney removal and new type of fireplace, you are talking a ton of money, as much as many of us would pay for a small house. I don't know if I would undertake this kind of expense and would probably keep trying to repair the existing roof, adding maybe some kind of skirt around the edge to deal with the ice dams.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Agree with Joypulv. Many homes of this design find similar problems. I just saw a house near me, AtlantaGA, where they put a 5/12 truss roof over the house and then finished it with 3 tab shingles. Incredible change, looked beautiful. Not cheap but better than dealing with a flat roof and water problems every year.
    sbiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Joypulv seems to have the best answer. Don't skimp on getting your 3 estimates. Roofing companies can vary widely by price and QUALITY of work which would be my main concern...

http://kgrroofing.com/Charlotte.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flat roof [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the southwest. I have a flat roof. We are adding a room to the house and doing some updating so we thought it would be a good time to re-roof. We had some small but persistent leaks in the existing part of the house. The contractor had the roof done. We had some weather the day they...

Flashing Roof Vent on Flat Roof [ 14 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install some ventilation in my flat roof. I've decided to go with this system: Flat Roof Top Attic Ventilation. It looks perfect for my application. I've done some research on how to install the fan, including on a couple other forums, but have a couple of unanswered...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Flat roof [ 2 Answers ]

How much slope does a flat roof need to have?

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

View more questions Search