Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Wood floors
    Hey everyone. Question. My dinning room floor is starting to buckle. Its not to bad but you can definitely see it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem and why it is happening?

Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 02:11 PM
    Are the floors full wood, laminate, engineered? Hot weather and humidity can cause this symptom. Floors don't have enough expansion room and they buckle up. I have a door that starts to touch the floor on its swing but only in July, August and September and then it's gone. Do you have a dehumidifier? Have you spilled water on the floors, is the icemaker leaking? Check a few things out and get back to us. You may be able to surface screw the floors to the subfloor when the heat and humidity drop and then use matching wood plugs. Worst case is that the floor has to come up and be re-laid.
    SpringtimeHomes Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Sep 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Good points by Ma0641. My main questions would be how old is it and do you have cupping or buckling? Both problems could be from too much moisture in the basement/crawl. Fixing the moisture problem is the first step. Doing this might help them lay flat again. Sounds like its not bad enough to repair... yet. Cupping and Buckling have some different fixes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Polyuthane wood laminate floors [ 6 Answers ]

I have wood laminate flloors that were covered in polyuthane. They now have these little bubbles in them. How do I remove the poly without damaging the floors?

How to clean wood floors [ 0 Answers ]

Just bought a house with floating wood floors. The floors are pretty dark and I am having trouble mopping them and them looking clean. What's the best product on the market for mopping wood floors? I tried sweeping with a Swiffer Sweeper (but would rather drag out my Rainbow with the brush...

Hard wood floors under carpet [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are moving into a house that has carpet in the living room, dining room and hallway. We'd love to rip it up because there are hard wood floors underneath. What are the chances that they're in good enough shape that we don't need to refinish them? I ripped back a piece of carpet in...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Wood vinyl floors [ 2 Answers ]

I have vinyl wood floors and I mop them 2 times a day and they use to be shinny but now they have a white gloss over them and no matter how much I mop them or scrub them it doesn't go away what can I do to fix this problem cause it is making me feel like my floors are dirty when I know that I mop...

View more questions Search