Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meckaneck402 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
    1995 7.3 powerstroke diesel no start without prime
    I need to know how to test the high pressure oil pump. The scanner shows 170 psi during engine cranking... how much pressure is needed to fire the injectors... Don't want to change this pump until positive that it is bad.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Verify oil pressure with a known good mechanical gauge. Oil pressure may be too low--you need to check the specification for your engine or call your local Ford diesel truck dealer. The cutoff will shut the engine down when the oil pressure is too low. PSDs use the Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection (HEUI) System, so it completely relies on the oil level and condition of the oil to fire the injectors. Running the oil level low or too long can cause unusual problems.

As the name implies, the HEUI injection system uses hydraulic energy to actuate unit injectors. A PSD has two oil pumps--a low pressure lubrication pump, located near or in the front engine cover below the water pump, and a high pressure hydraulic pump, located at the front of the engine V, underneath the fuel filter assembly. If the problem persists, focus on the High Pressure Oil Pump. If the Injector Control Pressure (ICP) is lower than expected (engine cranking), it is usually caused by low injection oil pressure or regulator (IPR) valve. High pressure oil is used to pressurize and inject fuel into the cylinders--each injector is essentially its own injection pump. The IPR is a by-pass valve that controls the high oil pressure, depending on demand. The ICP Sensor monitors the oil pressure in the LH head. Check for oil in the upper reservoir--it should be within one inch of the top (add as necessary). Verify that the correct oil is being used and that it has not thinned out. For no-start concerns, check ICP Sensor readings with a scan tool or pressure gauge.

On diesel engines that will not restart, after they are warmed up, it's often a sign of a tired fuel pump. As they heat soak, inside pump head clearances increase and it will no longer develop sufficient fuel pressure at cranking speed. While it's running, fuel helps cool the pump by carrying the heat away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 7.3 powerstroke no start without prime [ 2 Answers ]

I'm working on a 95 direct injection diesel that won't start without a small shot of either. Runs good after starting shows no codes. Tried a different computer,new fuel filter. What could be the problem?

1995 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel Won't Start [ 17 Answers ]

1995 F250 Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel Will not start and have done the following: All new glow plugs, valve cover gaskets and glow plug leads. New fuel filter and fuel pump, new crank sensor. High Pressure Oil Pump exchanged with known used good pump. Bled fuel system - NO water present....

1995 7.3 powerstroke diesel died when driving? [ 0 Answers ]

I was driving down road and truck died. I have changed fuel pump, cam sensor... and am stumped... Any suggestions (please don't use abreviations, I am new to working on diesels)

1995 7.3 powerstroke won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I started it up like normal got in to go and it stumbled and died. Changed the fuel filter and it fired right up got in to go and died again. We can get it running by spaying starting fluid in the intake, then once it runs on its own at 3,000 rpm it will just shut off. I turned on the drain on the...

1995 ford f250 powerstroke diesel running problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Ford F250 Powerstroke diese. When I start it, it runs for less than a minute and then the check engine light comes on and it runs like it is missing. When I give it throtle the oil pressure gague doesn't move at all and neither does the battery voltage gauge. I have had it to a...

View more questions Search