Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auntiemelanie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
    My nephew got arrested for the first time for selling ecstasy to an under cover -
    He was arrested in Santa Clara County, Ca. At a rave last night... His mom bailed him out for 10,000.00 (we paid 1,000.00) but he's charged with a felony right now... This is his first arrest so my question is, do you think there is any chance this could be dropped to a misdemeanor when he goes to court ? And what is the most likely sentence for this crime ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 01:19 PM
    If he has a good attorney, anything can happen, Often pleas can be made, but then it may be more a plea on time he has to serve or on years of sentence and/or probation.

Most likely he will get a few years probation, along with drug tests to be sure he stays clean.
    auntiemelanie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 01:34 PM
    Well he's going to college to become a Firefighter/EMT so I hoping this doesn't ruin his chances at a career in this field ! Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2011, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by auntiemelanie View Post
    well he's going to college to become a Firefighter/EMT so I hoping this doesn't ruin his chances at a career in this field ! thanks
    If he's convicted it will present a huge problem to him in the future whether it is a firefighter or an EMT as he will have a felony on his record.

I don't envision this being dropped down the misdemeanor category as they have him red handed selling to an undercover agent. He should do some time and then probation on top of that. How much time? I don't know. Only the judge can sentence him. Selling to an undercover agent - there is virtually no getting around this to have this dropped down as they have everything on audio and video and should he go to trial he will be found guilty. His only chance would be to plea out ahead of time should they offer him a plea deal. Attorneys can work wonders but in this case even the most expensive criminal attorney won't be able to help. He just blew his chances at any good career where they do extensive background checks. What would his excuse be for this? Uh I was young and dumb? Sorry, won't fly.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2011, 02:55 PM
    A good lawyer will make all the difference. Getting probabilities online has nothing to do with HIS CASE. We don't know who's up for re-election, how many people have complained to the chief about the raves or whether it was a legal gathering, how much dope he sold, and who cut the judge off on the way in that morning before he set bail. HIRE A GOOD LAWYER.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Yes, this is almost destroy his carrier as a fire fighter and esp a EMT. And it will depend on if it gets reduced and what it is reduced to.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A good lawyer will make all the difference. Getting probabilities online has nothing to do with HIS CASE. We don't know who's up for re-election, how many people have complained to the chief about the raves or whether it was a legal gathering, how much dope he sold, and who cut the judge off on the way in that morning before he set bail. HIRE A GOOD LAWYER.
    To have a bail of $10K means he didn't sell ONE pill, Joy, but more like a bunch or repeat buys AND to an undercover officer to boot. Once he takes the stand, all bets are off. And a LOT has to do with the prosecutor in this case and NOT the judge as the judge must go along with what the prosecutor in this case wants. Very seldom have I even seen a judge overrule what a prosecutor wants as they have to agree with whatever plea deal is proffered as they are the ones who proffer the deals in the first place. And remember filling prison beds are good for profits in a lot of counties. Judges DO have the final say, but only after the prosecutor has their say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens when arrested for a first time probation violation? [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband is on probation for disorderly conduct. About close to a month ago he was arrested for theft, and did 5 days in jail. After he got out of jail he called his P.O and told her everything. A few days later her partner came over and did his check, and told him okay check in the office on...

Month and date that Saks Fifth Avenue started selling the Boater diaper cover [ 1 Answers ]

I know the year Saks Fifth Avenue started selling the Boater diaper cover was 1949, but what was the month and date?

Ex-Husband arrested for the 4th time. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband shares joint custody of our two daughter, however his belief of being a father is doing only what's court ordered. Last week he was arrested for the 4th time for violating his house arrest. A surprise search took place and alcohol was found. He lives with his mother and step father...

Can I be arrested and jailed for not paying alimony on time? [ 2 Answers ]

I was ordered to pay my x wife alimony due on the 1st of each month. After court, she and I decided that it would be better for us both if we split the amount into 4 payments and I pay every Friday. Since that time, I have been paying her every Friday. Recently, I have been mailing her a check...

Selling Family Home - Relocate Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the family home, the close date is October 29, and are having trouble relocating one of the occupants. My 30-year old nephew lives in the house with his mother, my sister. My sister is on fixed income, but we have been able to find her a small apartment to move to since she...

View more questions Search