Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Sep 4, 2011, 04:20 AM
    Escape Velocity question
    With which speed should we throw something, that it goes out of the gravity of the earth and start moving around the earth or goes off? With which speed does earth around its own axis?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2011, 04:59 AM
    1. The escape velocity can be obtained by equating the initial kinetic energy of the object with the magnitude of the potential energy of the object it has initially.

2. I'm assuming the actual question is

"With which angular speed does the earth rotate around its own axis?"

Find the time taken for the earth to make a complete round, then divide the angle (360 degrees or 2pi radians) by the time that you got.

Can you post what you get? :)
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 4, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    1. The escape velocity can be obtained by equating the initial kinetic energy of the object with the magnitude of the potential energy of the object it has initially.
    When computing the potential energy in this particular case, however, bear in mind that the "h" in E=mgh is the distance from the center of the planet, not the distance to the ground. So if you're trying to compute escape velocity at ground level (like how fast you'd have to throw a baseball), the "h" term is the radius of the earth: ~6371km.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
    What Unk and jc described gets you the "escape velocity," which is the velocity you need to throw an object straight up for it to completely escape earth's gravity and theoretically rise to an infinite height. It's also equivalent to the theoretical speed a falling object would attain if dropped from an infinite height. However the velocity needed to make orbit is significantly less. To calculate it: set the force due to gravity equal to the object's mass times centripetal acceleration for a circular orbit. For a low altitude orbit you get an answer that is equal to the escape veocity divided by sqrt(2).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need an escape. [ 4 Answers ]

Im not talking about emotional escapes, or suicide, or so on (it is a prominent feature in my life, but that isn't the question here). Basically, in 2 years I will have finished the academic course I'm doing at the moment. I originally had a plan, and a career path, but it was only chosen...

Velocity/work question [ 1 Answers ]

you cannonbal into the water from a 15m diving board.what velocity do you hit the water and what work is done by the water if you stop 1.9m below the surface? Mass=85kg.

Escape velocity [ 2 Answers ]

It takes of course a certain speed to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or a star. My question is this: when escaping a solar system or a galaxy isz their an additional gravitational effect to overcome?

What is the escape velocity of childishness? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a mature adult quickly approaching 30 years of age. I love art and graphic design culture, drawing, writing, creating and imagining things, and while I know this is all part of the profession, I am a workaholic, and I rarely do much else than sit, think, and work, spending my time pining away...

I cannot escape [ 5 Answers ]

It’s been a year and two months. They try to tell you love fades with time, but I tell you there is no such thing as time. I had been with this guy for about a year a half starting the summer before my senior year in high school. He was never that great of a guy. The first six months of us being...

View more questions Search