Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fisk Posts: 147, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2011, 04:14 AM
    Fainting- when should one seek medical attention?
    Yesterday I was at a festival with some friends and I fainted. I didn't actually loose conscious but I wasn't hearing very well, I couldn't see well, and I had all those symptoms that you get before you actually fall down. I sat down before it happened and after being very nauseous and eating sugar, I felt OK. A bit weak, but OK.
    This is not the first time this has happened to me. Yesterday was a very hot day, I hadn't slept very well, and had two beers at the festival. The other times I had this feeling were when I hadn't eaten for long, or when I was under the sun for too long, too many people around, etc.

This doesn't happen often but it's pretty scary when it does.My question is: Should I look into this or am I just one of those people who faint easily? When should one seek medical attention?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 4, 2011, 04:31 AM
    Other than being checked for diabetes, you could spend a little more effort on hydration before thinking of all the other medical conditions it could be, which are many. Most all fainting or semi-fainting in hot weather is a result of dehydration. Alcohol is just going to make it worse, especially if no food with it and no other liquids on a hot day. Carry a water bottle with you and if you don't like plain water, some lightly flavored selzer or plain water. Stay away from beer and Coke. Sport drinks aren't too bad. The amount of sugar you need when your blood pressure drops is tiny, 2 ounces of OJ maybe. Too much sugar isn't good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I seek medical treatment? [ 1 Answers ]

I confirmed my pregnancy over a week ago and now I am bleeding. Do I need to seek medical treatment

At what stage do you seek medical help to get pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there everyone, I'm just wondering at what stage should you actually get a doctor to investigate things further - my partner and I have been TCC for over 12 months now. I have had an ultrasound that shows no issues with my ovaries, and although I am a bit overweight I am quite healthy and am...

I'm desperately writing to seek some medical consultation from you regarding [ 1 Answers ]

I’m desperately writing to seek some medical consultation from you regarding Multiple Myeloma. Currently, my 76-year-old father and I live in Iran. I’m going to elaborate on my father’s medical history: Currently he is suffering from Proteinuria . The recent medical tests have revealed presence...

When should I seek medical attention when experience bleeding after intercourse? [ 1 Answers ]

After intercourse, I have experienced bleeding. This has been happening for the paste couple of months. Just recently, I experienced heavy bleeding and it has been happening for about two days. I have made an appointment with my doctor, however it is not for another week. I am wondering if it is...

HELP! Should I seek medical attention for a deep cut [ 4 Answers ]

I was washing a glass and while my hand was in it, I cut it when a piece of the glass popped right off and sheered into my hand above the thumb knuckle. The flap of skinn immediately turned white and of course bleed. I wrapped it and kept pressure on it. However I clearly took off all layers, the...

View more questions Search