Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crabdens Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Why this difference in speed
    I recently changed my isp and was provided with a usb modem, this opened with a speed of 2.6 meg regularly. I then reprogrammed my router (d-link dsl g-604t) connected by cable to 4 computers, this equally regularly gives 100.0Mbps. Why the difference and can I speed the router up
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 2, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Sorry to say, but you are getting slightly confused.
    The USB modem is reporting closer to what your connection speed really is.
    The 100 Mbps from the router is correct as far as the connection ton the router ONLY is concerned. The routers connection to your ISP is different, but you can get a good idea what it is if you have a look at the sync speed.
    Just log on to your router and you'll fine a line similar to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's connection
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,183 / 14,947
    This isn't your surfing speed though as there is some overhead to take into account.
    There are a number os speed test sites available for you to check your connection.
    Just try a quick Google ;)

Ps, stick with your router and dump the USB as the router offers better security and powerful networking.
    crabdens Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Thanks , thought there might be a simple answer and I am sticking to the router, which is why I asked the question

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

Difference [ 1 Answers ]

Please anyone tell me the difference between a Corporation and an Incorporation.

What's the difference? [ 4 Answers ]

;) Hi, Anyone knows the difference between "conversation" And "dialogue"? I appreciate your help.

View more questions Search