Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Synthetic, wood or aluminium blinds?
    I have had some quotes for plantation blinds and not sure whether to go synthetic , aluminium or wood? I got quotes from both half price shutters and shutters australia and they were both giving if the salesman blag! Half price shutters was a lot cheaper and he claimed synthetic was better as we have quite bad condensation in a couple of the rooms, however the guy from shutters australia said he refuses to sell synthetic as it "sags" and he recommended wood or ideally aluminium as the best (obviously because that was more expensive!) . I am concerned about high price of aluminium and now worried synthetic will sag but then not sure if wood will damage with damp/compensation!what do you think?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
    I have the syntheric wood plantation shutters on all of my windows in my home for the last NINE years and I have yet to experience what they call sagging. I have them on both the top and bottom of each window or 4 shutters per window.

You are being told fairy tales about the syntheric shutters. I take my shutters down about once a year and put them in the bathtub in a bath of dish soap and about a cup of bleach. Mine are white and they come out sparkling clean. You would never know they are 9 years old just from looking at them as they don't warp, chip, peel and if I did want to I could have probbaly painted them whatever color I wished using an electric sprayer and using latex paint.

My home can be a bit moist in the winter and the shutters are not damaged in anyway.

Go with the synthetic and no one will know the difference. I used to have real wood shutters on all my windows many years ago when I lived in NYC. 4 very tall windows. I really didn't notice any sagging from them either.

The shutters keep out the hot sun in the summer and the cold at night in the winter.
    I never fully open the shutters but just move the louvers with the stick and open them that way. I will give you a hint. I have NEVER had good luck with plants indoors as there is not enough light coming in through the slats versus opening the shutters entirely.
    stano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 10:49 PM
    Thanks for your advice. You mention the light - does having the blinds block out light even when they opened with the stick? That was a concern of my husband in having them it might make the place dark! Also, you mention bleaching the shutters -do they yellow otherwise? Final question, did you have steel supported synthetic shutters? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stano View Post
    thanks for your advice. you mention the light - does having the blinds block out light even when they opened with the stick? that was a concern of my husband in having them it might make the place dark! also, you mention bleaching the shutters -do they yellow otherwise? final question, did you have steel supported synthetic shutters? sorry for all the questions! thanks
    Since I have both top and bottom shutters and don't like to just push them totally back out of the way I just adjust the upper louvers with a stick. No, my LR and BR are light and airy enough to suit me and not dark at all. It seems that there is not enough "direct" light available for plants to grow though. I do have lucky bamboo that does very well at one window though. With both top and bottom louvers open I get more than enough light in any room. The white color helps brighten up the room versus a wood colored shutter. I had those, remember, and the room WAS too dark.

I do keep the lower shutters closed most of the time at night for privacy though and leave the top ones tilted open. And NO, the shutters do not get yellow when I bleach them every so many years. And I don't have steel supported shutters. They are on little synthetic strips into the walls and held up with brass hinges. So far they've held up very nicely for the past 9 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood, Vinyl or Aluminum Mini Blinds? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... I'm planning on installing mini blinds in my living room, which faces South. Since the blinds will receive full sun, which would be my best pick... wood, vinyl or aluminum? I'd love to get wood, but I'm concerned about them not standing up to the direct sun. Anyone have any...

Can an engine burn synthetic oil once changing over to synthetic oil? [ 1 Answers ]

My car ( 4-cylinder Nissan Sentra) was introduced to synthetic oil @ ~ 90,000 miles. My oil light went on @ ~7,300 into using the synthetic oil. Had to add ~2 1/2 quarts of synth blend oil. Why did my car burn this oil? My mechanic had said that " some cars burn synthetic oil when first introduced"...

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

Wood or aluminum blinds which are best? [ 2 Answers ]

I would be grateful for comments as to what is best for large windows - wooden or aluminum venetian blinds? I was told condensation may damage wooden blinds (paint and wood rotting) also operation of blinds - the weight of wooden blinds will cause problems with the cords. Thanks in advance for...

View more questions Search