Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MariH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Pto hours and salary
    I was told if you are on salary and you work mor than four hours a day, that if you leave early that day that they should not deduct it from your pto hours or your check. Is that true?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Every company is different on how they handle it. Am I right to assume that you don't have a company manual or a human resources dept in your place of business? If so, you might want to speak with your boss to find out why this happened. Ask what the rules are so that you know what to expect in the future. If you are a new employee and you took half a day, he/she might have been annoyed and letting you know that these are the consequences. If you are a long standing employee with a good attendance record, if you ask nicely, let them explain themselves to you. If you find the answer is not acceptable, you should point out that you are a good employee, you don't take time off unnecessarily, and that since you are salaried, you were under the impression that when you put in overtime you don't get paid for it. Ask them if that is how it works? If they say yes, then state that you don't understand how it works one way and not the other. See what they respond. If they are simply jerking you around, close your mouth and start looking around for another job.

Hope this helped.
    JKB Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MariH
    I was told if you are on salary and you work mor than four hours a day, that if you leave early that day that they should not deduct it from your pto hours or your check. Is that true?
    Yes it is correct that salaried employees are paid a set salary for a week and docking pay for a partial day is not allowed. However, if an employee does this consistently and is not working at least 40 hours or the agreed upon amount it becomes a discipline issue. You could eventually be let go if you are not working enough hours, and leaving early etc...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 04:51 PM
    If you are on salary, your employer expects at least 8 hrs a day. You have to find out what your employer considers the work week - not all employers use the 40 hrs a week - especially if salaried. My last employer used 40-60 hrs a week as normal. No overtime, but then I was salaried, so that was a moot point.

If you work only four hrs a day and then leave and claim PTO, you fill find yourself unemployed soon. It will catch up to you. For that salary, the company expects some results.

You should have gotten the HR handbook - any company worth it's salt has one. If you do not see the subject about salaried employees and PTO, then ask. Document what you are told.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Testing Electric PTO Clutch [ 3 Answers ]

Troy Bilt 22hp Briggs/46'Deck Electric PTO clutch will not engage. Have changed out switch on the mower console... still no good. Removed clutch, looks OK. IS THERE ANY WAY TO TEST THIS CLUTCH?? Or should I look somewhere else... worked great one day,, the next week NOTHING!

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

Electric pto [ 1 Answers ]

Power on pto melts prongs and switch?

Hours of Sleep [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard from a lot of people that seven to eight hours of sleep is best for a full nights sleep. My question is this though, for a person with a disease or some sort of illness that affects their body in some way, what would be their normal sleeping habits? Would seven to eight hours still be...

View more questions Search