Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhefter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 04:54 AM
    You have an isosceles Triangle on top of a square. The perimeter of the whole thing
    You have an isosceles triangle on top of a square. The perimeter of the whole thing is 36 and the triangles perimeter is 24. What are the 3 sides of the square?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 05:20 AM
    I would think the same as the triangle?
    mhefter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 05:35 AM
    Ok so what would the triangle be? And the equation to figure it out?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 1, 2011, 07:10 AM
    If the sides of the square are length x, that means the base of the triangle is also x. Meanwhile, the other two sides of the triangle are length y.

If the triangle's perimeter is 24, then x + 2y = 24.

Meanwhile, if the perimeter of the whole thing is 36, then 3x + 2y = 36.

There you go. Two equations and two unknowns.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Well, in the case that the base of the triangle is not equal to the side of the square, you can get an answer only if the base of the triangle is larger than the side of the square. Making drawings help you a lot! :)
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
    I figured if the triangle is 24, 1 side must be 8 (1/3 of 24).
    If the base of the triangle is the same size a 1 side of the square, then 3 X 8 = 24.
    Only problem with this is, is That total would be 40(8 X 5 = 40?),
    Which to me says the triangle should be smaller?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 03:19 AM
    No no no, you have something assumed that is not permissible.

An isosceles triangle has one side, then two sides equal. You made the assumption that the triangle is an equilateral triangle (3 equal sides) which is what is not permissible.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Well, in the case that the base of the triangle is not equal to the side of the square, you can get an answer only if the base of the triangle is larger than the side of the square. Making drawings help you a lot! :)
    First, I think jcaron2 has the answer as intended by the problem. But thinking about whether there is a solution for an isoceles triangle whose base is less than length of the square: this leads to 2 equations in 3 unknowns, and hence infinite number of solutions. For example, the length of the square could be 4, and the isoceles triangle could have base length of 2 and the other two sides each 11. Am I misunderstanding what you meant?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    First, I think jcaron2 has the answer as intended by the problem. But thinking about whether there is a solution for an isoceles triangle whose base is less than length of the square: this leads to 2 equations in 3 unknowns, and hence infinite number of solutions. For example, the length of the square could be 4, and the isoceles triangle could have base length of 2 and the other two sides each 11. Am I misunderstanding what you meant?
    Exactly, there are those two little sides of the square besides the base of the triangle that cannot be found in that case. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Exactly, there are those two little sides of the square besides the base of the triangle that cannot be found in that case. :)
    I thought what you meant was that it was impossible to have the case where the base of the triangle is less than the square. But I guess what you meant to say was that if the base is less then the length of the square then the length of the square can't be determined. In that case - we agree!
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 04:28 PM
    A question could be for a right angle triangle, then you would only have 2 answers.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2011, 07:10 AM
    I'm not sure I understand :confused:
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2011, 07:15 AM
    A right angle triangle, right side up, and on its side on top of the square.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Sorry, I still don't understand... If I did though, I get only one answer given the lengths given :(

Sep 3, 2011, 07:52 AM
    If you picture a non-isosceles right triangle on top of the square such that the hypotenuse is congruent with the top of the square, you end up with three sides of unknown length. Let's use x for the side of the square (and the hypotenuse of the triangle), and y and z for the two legs of the triangle. You then end up with:

3x + y + z = 36
    x + y + z = 24
    y^2 + z^2 = x^2

Given the quadratic nature of the third equation, this gives two potential answers for y and z (hence Stratmando's statement), but still only one answer for x (which becomes obvious if you subtract the second equation from the first; you simply end up with 2x = 12). And since the original question asked about the length of the sides of the square (there are four of them on a square, by the way, not three :)), Jerry's right. There's only one answer.

By the way, those first two equations should hold no matter what sort of constraints you put on the triangle. Whether the triangle is isosceles, right, or totally unconstrained, if it's perimeter is 24 and it shares a side with the square (resulting in a total perimeter of 36), the side of the square is always 6.

Sep 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
    By the way, to be even more general still, it doesn't even matter if the polygon on top is a triangle or not. It could be a rectangle, an octagon, an irregular 277-sided polygon, a semi-circle, or any random blob with a flat bottom. As long as it has a perimeter of 24 and sits atop a square the same width as the shape's flat bottom, if the perimeter of the result is 36, the width of the base must have been 6.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perimeter of an Isosceles Triangle [ 16 Answers ]

What is the hypotenuse of an isosceles triangle if the perimeter is 16 + 16 radical 2?

Help with finding perimeter of an isosceles triangle? [ 1 Answers ]

An isosceles triangle has legs that are 15 cm and a perimeter of 48 cm. What is the perimeter of a similar isosceles triangle with a base of 12 cm?

Perimeter of an isosceles triangle [ 1 Answers ]

What is the area of a triangle with a base of 3 ft. and height of 6 ft?

Isosceles triangle perimeter? [ 4 Answers ]

the isosceles triangles' base is 10 inches and the height is 12 inches. how would i find the perimeter?

View more questions Search