Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Njerishe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Butane, C4H10, has a boiling point of -0.5 ?C (which is 31 ?F). Despite this, liquid
    Butane, C4H10, has a boiling point of -0.5 ?C (which is 31 ?F). Despite this, liquid butane can be seen sloshing about inside a typical butane lighter, even at room temperature. Why isn't the butane boiling inside the lighter at room temperature?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Its under pressure.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Aug 31, 2011, 07:33 PM
    That's why the gas comes out when you Flick Your Bic!
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Sep 1, 2011, 07:15 AM
    I never realized the boiling point was so high. I need to make a mental note not to rely on a butane lighter for winter camping trips unless I plan to keep it in my pocket!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2011, 10:04 AM
    You will see butane as a fuel in hot countries-India, Iran, South America but to use it in most of the US, you need to keep it warm. We used it in some chemical operations but had a steam pre-heater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiling Point [ 2 Answers ]

'what make the Difference of the Boiling Point between CH3CH2CH2CH3 Butane. To his Isomer( Isobutane) (CH3)3CH? I know the Boiling Point of Isobutane (-11.7) is low then Butane. Thanks.

Boiling Point [ 3 Answers ]

How do I know why the material Isobutane Has a low boiling point of Butane? I know Isobutane is an Isomer of Butane. Thanks.

Why isn't the butane boiling inside the lighter at room temperature? [ 2 Answers ]

Butane, C4H10, has a boiling point of -0.5 °C (which is 31 °F). Despite this, liquid butane can be seen sloshing about inside a typical butane lighter, even at room temperature. Why isn't the butane boiling inside the lighter at room temperature? Select all that apply. 1. Boiling occurs when...

What is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen [ 4 Answers ]

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius liquid nitrogen boils at about -196 degrees Celsius what is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen?

Refrigerant boiling point [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a novice at this ac thing,but I do want to understand exactly what is going on inside the system.Is it correct to say that the refrigerants boiling point is changed by the surface pressure applied to it? Does this mean that when the superheated gas makes its way to the condensing side of the...

View more questions Search