Ask
    dwitex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2011, 01:30 AM
    In Florida how many years back does Allstate check drivers history
    In Florida how many years back does Allstate check drivers history
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Not sure about Allstate but most do not check. They take your word for it and then only check if you file a claim. If they find you were not truthful then they will deny the claim and likely drop you. Best to be up front in your application. Oddly enough they do look at your credit report.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 05:06 PM
    I work part time at Allstate. Allstate goes back 5 years for your driver's history of tickets, accidents (your fault and not your fault), violations and suspensions. I gather quote information on potential customers if they have had any of the above. If something stands out we call them back and discuss it. Sometimes customers are denied coverage due to too many points or too many accidents. Seen it happen. Whereas say Progressive will insure regardless of how many points but be ready to pay sky high premiums in return for the coverage. State Farm does just about the same thing so get ready to fork out hefty premiums. Basically if you are a bad driver with too many points and too many accidents you are going to have a hard time getting anyone to insure you for reasonable rates.

I don't know where you're getting your misinformation Ballenger, but you're DEAD WRONG on this answer.

Allstate does what they call a "soft credit report" to see if you are a good payer,etc. This soft credit report does not go against your credit score either. The cusomer may get insurance but they may have to pay a bit higher premium if they don't have such a good insurance credit score.

And, ALL other insurance companies WILL pull your driving record as they just don't take your word for it. They are mandated to see it on paper and not out of your mouth either. Any new customer these days are scrutinized to see if they are a good risk or not. Why wouldn't an insurance company check out just who they are insuring? Makes no sense to just take someone's word for no tickets, accidents, etc.

The computer will even tell us who had the accident in what car and how much money was paid out by which insurance company for say hitting a deer (which is under comprehensive coverage).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
    I assumed twinkle that you had read my first 5 words.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I assumed twinkle that you had read my first 5 words.
    Certainly I read them and was shocked that you were "guessing" about this answer. Insurance companies are cracking down on drivres lately or haven't you gotten a comparison quote lately?
    Uh, THEY ALL CHECK! Maybe 10 or 15 years ago things were different but not now as there are too many "bad" drivers out there or insurance frauds who file too many claims. When was the last time you had a comparison quote and were NOT asked about accidents, tickets, etc?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 06:17 PM
    I do not know of any that go past 7 years. Most look closer at the last three.

They will ask you if you have had any tickets or accidents in the past >>>> years, that will normally be the number of years they check.

Also your credit score means almost as much now adays, so that is important to many companies
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2011, 04:43 AM
    Computerization has made this easier. Insurance companies have access to DMV records now. So its not so much a matter of how far the insurance companies check but how far the DMVs keep the records.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
    I went on esurance site to get a comparison quote and one of the questions concerned tickets, accidents for the last 5 years. So there you go. Everybody does this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2011, 04:53 PM
    An insurance application asking a question and the insurance carrier verifying the info are different things.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2011, 05:07 PM
    The tickets and accidents come off your record in 3 years. I know that Allstate carefully watches this and when a customer has say a ticket reach the 3 year drop off, the company will automatically recalculate the policy and the rate may be lower at renewal time if no new tickets, etc are on the person's record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2011, 05:42 PM
    I am not sure what you mean by "come off your record in 3 years" If you mean that points given for those offenses don't count against you. Yes it does in most places, but those laws very from state to state.

On the official driving record, they remain on there forever. But seldom is there any public search over 7 years ( used for most CDL and other commercial driving records)

But a police officer or court could see or view any ticket you ever had. Up to the point that they were put on the computer system. ** at least in every state I have worked as a police officer.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2011, 06:35 PM
    What I meant about the "come off your record in 3 years" was that Allstate does not count these tickets or accidents any longer. Yes, I know that the DMV does not just take them off your record. But for insurance reasons, they come off after 3 years no matter if it's a seatbelt ticket or DUI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I check my g.e.d. History [ 0 Answers ]

How do I check my G.E.D history

BAD CHECK IN MD UNDER $300 on a check older than 2 years old be prosecuted [ 1 Answers ]

There were some checks written in md on a closed account under $300 to a store, they were cleared in a bankruptcy, but never cleared through the store. The question Can criminal charges be filed in md on a check older than 2years old if they were written on a closed account Can criminal...

History check [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find all of the history on my comuter even after it has been deleted

View more questions Search