Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soraya.n Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Aug 30, 2011, 04:48 PM
    How's a dormitory like?
    Hi :)
    I'm writing a story which actually happens in a European country... but the problem is that I'm Asian and I don't know their system... I'm 16 years old so I've never been in a college dormitory before even in my country... could you please tell me how people settle down there?I mean when you enter the college dormitory,are you actually supposed to rent a room like when people stay in a hotel? how do people get a room there?! I know that my question is a little ridiculous but I don't really know how to write it in my story... please help.. thanks :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 05:44 PM
    For the U.S. --

In my heyday, we applied to a college, were accepted, and then were assigned to a dorm. Each class had dorms; there were separate dorms for the men and women of each class.

I lived my freshman year in Lindemann Hall (Room 107). My parents were sent a bill that included tuition as well as room (the dorm) and board (the cafeteria food). My dorm was three stories high and included most of the freshman girls except for local ones who commuted from home. Each floor had a long hallway lined with bedrooms that held two people each and a big bathroom in the middle of each floor. The bathroom had a huge multi-partitioned shower, and a number of sinks and toilets.

My son attended college during the late 1990s. The dorms had alternating floors of women and men. The dorm rooms were more like apartments with a bathroom between two dorm rooms. The college sent me a bill every month to pay for tuition, room, and board for my son. Juniors and seniors could live in apartments off campus and not pay "room" charges to the college (just tuition and board/food).

Some colleges have no dorms, so students must find and rent nearby apartments. I believe dorm living is now an option; many students prefer to live off-campus in apartments.
    soraya.n Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Aug 31, 2011, 01:12 AM
    Thank you very much indeed... it was exactly what I wanted :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How's everyone doing lately? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey girls/guys. I just pretty much made this thread so that we can all update each other on your routines or discuss daily incidents that we think that others may find interesting. So basically what's been going on with me?? I bought a new bottle of glycerine last week. I had to go to this mall...

So how's TARP working for you ? [ 2 Answers ]

The Inspector General released a review of the Troubled Asset Relief Program(TARP) and it isn't pretty . http://www.sigtarp.gov/embargoed/embargo.pdf Simply stated ;after a year in operation,instead of letting the zombies die ,we have instead given them a massive stearoid injection....

Dormitory Hot Water [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a dorm that has 20 rooms to a floor. We have one boiler for the whole floor, and the temperature is set at 140 degrees. We all get lukewarm showers, and do not have hot water to do dishes. I have put in countless work orders for this, and maintenance says everything is fine. I have been...

How's breakfast? [ 3 Answers ]

5. I was performing rounds at the hospital one morning and while checking up on a woman I asked, 'So how's your breakfast this morning?' 'It's very good, except for the Kentucky Jelly. I can't seem to get used to the taste' the patient replied. I then asked to see the jelly and the woman produced a...

View more questions Search