Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joycegalbreath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
    My son and his aunt rented in house in Florida, the Aunt moves
    The rented a house in Florida in July of this year. The aunt got mad at him and moved back to Texas. She told him she can come and go as she pleases. My son talked to the landlord, he said that was a family issue and not his. What right does my son have? Does he have rights if she does not pay her part?
    Can she be removed from the lease? Please let me know your thoughts.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2011, 06:26 PM
    If he and she are both on the lease, then each person is liable for the entire amount, and any grievance is between the two of them. So the landlord is correct about that - he doesn't have to chase down each person for half. Now technically your son cannot just tell the landlord to take her off the lease. But the LL can terminate both of them for non payment and then rent to your son, which should be easier if she doesn't show up for quite a while. Your son would negotiate a deal to cover the amount not paid retroactively after the LL terminates. A sort of staged eviction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
    The landlord is correct, he may attempt to sue her for 1/2 of the rent if he wants, but he has to pay it. Unless she will sign a release to allow son to sign a new lease ( if landlord even would) if son for example, stopped paying rent, he and aunt can both be sued, even if she moved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My aunt needs to go to nursing home. House is in foreclosure process. [ 2 Answers ]

Her husband is already in a facility. Medicaid plus $350 monthly covers his cost. Can she enter the home while house is in foreclosure? If it is forclosed, will she qualify for medicaid? When her husband dies, will the state try to recover their cost prior to the foreclosure?

Should my aunt buy a ipad2 as a gift for his teenage son? [ 4 Answers ]

My aunt has a 16 years old son. He asked for ipad2 for a long time because many friends of his have it. He has a computer already. However, my aunt is considering to buy it for him now because he is doing fine with his final. My aunt is not very rich though, should my aunt buy a ipad2 as a gift for...

My Aunt gave me her house. Will I own it out right. [ 3 Answers ]

My Aunt died from cancer, but before she did, we did a quitclaim and put me on the deed. I am not on the mortgage but I am paying it. When the mortgage is paid off do I own the home out right.

Trying to look for my Aunt [ 1 Answers ]

Last time I've met her was 8 years ago she lived in wilkes-barre pa 18706 born on may 7 1966 pleas help me

Am in love with my aunt! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey pipo! Am in my 20's and I happen to be in love with my aunt.. Tho we not related bloodwise... We used to ignore each others feelins 4 about 2years but then we just decided to start datin undercover.. Am not ready to come out of the relationship because it means a lot to both of us... The...

View more questions Search