Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweepingangels2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Simple beagle
    Hello out there

I'm new to this. I'm adopting a 7 y.o Beagle home raised the Beagle seems a overweight to me and is eating 1 cup of canidea a day plus table food. I read up on Canidea and it is high in Sodium should I wean him off it and try something new? If so what should I try
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Over weight is one of the biggest health problems dog have. I am constantly directing people to http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx to evaluate their dogs. It never hurts to let a vet confirm your judgment. Cut out the table food. It is hard enough to give yourself a good diet on it, let alone a dog. The easiest way for the average dog owner to assure their dog the complete and balanced diet it needs is to feed a commercial dog chow and very little else.

I am surprised an expensive and highly rated chow like Canidea has a problem with excess sodium. Frankly I don't pay much attention to the ingredients in dog chow. I look at the thousands of dogs I know of that are thriving on Pro Plan and Iams, and figure it is good for them. If you don't trust the Canidea, I wouldn't pay a premium for it. You need to feed something you trust. I think many of the people that say their dog does better on the more expensive chows were worrying their dog sick on the cheaper ones. The stress flows right down the leash.

Check the stickies at the top of the dog forum. Most of the material is oriented toward new puppies, but you may find some things useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Still need help on my beagle pup [ 5 Answers ]

I am still having the same problems as before with my beagle... the kennel training for us has been hell... I thought dogs aren't supposed to pooh in their sleeping space and eating place?. is it just a phase pups go through when they pee when they haven't seen you in awhile?. im getting all kinds...

Bathing a beagle [ 8 Answers ]

I am going to try to bath our beagle, no problem. I have been told that his anal glands must be empty. How do I empty them?

Beagle puppy help! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new beagle owner whose name is molly and is 10 weeks old. The breeder from which I purchased Molly did not housetrain her. I did some research and I hear that beagles are hard to housetrain. Well I'm stressed out because here I am with this cute puppy bad see pees and poohs everywhere... im...

About my beagle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old beagle that is scraching so bad that she is making her self bleed and scabe up bu tthere is no hair lose what can I do for dry skin if that's the case is you coud help me I would aprishat it thank you karen

Need help beagle [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 4 years old He has gotten very sick and I cannot afford to take him to a vet. He has become very tired won't eat and is drinking some water but not much .He is an outside dog he has had all his shots. I went and purchased some penecillin to see if that would help but his condition is not...

View more questions Search