Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ivy66607 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 01:48 PM
    Can I choose Where I want to live?
    My father left me when I was 4. I am 15 now. He wants to try and get custody of me. But my grandparents have custody. Is it lawful for him to be able to get custody? Do I have a say so at all?
    A few months ago he wrote me a letter that scared me half to death. I don't want to live with him, but do I have the choice?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 02:02 PM
    It is lawful for him to try. His chances of success depend on the circumstances under which your grandparents got custody, and any extenuating circumstances such a violent history. No. You cannot choose where you want to live. A judge may consider your preference but will make a decision based on the facts, and your best interest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
    I will assume you know that the grandparents went to court and have legal custody though the courts,

You have the right to testify in court where you would prefer to live, he has the right to sue in court and try to get custody

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At 16 in Oregon can I choose who I want to live with [ 5 Answers ]

I am 16 and I live in Oregon. My dad has custody of me and I don't want to live with him. I want to live with my mom. My dad tells me I don't have the right to choose then my mom tells me that I do. My dad doesn't hit me or anything like that. He yells and has threatened to hit me but never has. I...

What age can I choose where to live? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I'm 13 and my parents are split up... im stuck living wit my mom... and things aren't working out?? Will I be able to move wit my dad or grandma? Or am I stuckin living wit my mom?? :confused::confused:

Age to choose where to live [ 33 Answers ]

In the state of South Dakota, what age do you need to be before you can choose which parent you want to live with?

Can I choose were I want to live at 16? [ 16 Answers ]

:( :confused: Am I old enough to choose to live with my father at the age of 16? I don't get along with my mother, and my father listins to me and gets me. Is their anything I can do without going to cort? Like am I old enough to leave home? Please help!:(

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

View more questions Search