Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randy59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
    I've been trying to remember the title of a sci fi movie I rented in the late 90's
    I've been trying to remember the title of a sci fi movie I rented in the late 90's about a former NASA rocket scientist and three or so other talented friends or co-workers that built a space ship from discarded military rocket parts. The scientist left NASA because they wouldn't try his ingenious economical propulsion system, so he decided to do it himself to prove his theory. Their plan was to travel to the moon and collect as many items as they could that were left behind by the Apollo missions, return them safely and efficiently to Earth, and sell them to museums or the highest bidders. They hacked into a NASA or similar main frame super computer during off hours to provide guidance for propulsion and re-entry. The mission was going well until a computer tech shut down the main frame for scheduled maintenance. They had to come clean with the authorities to get the computer re-started to safely complete the mission, which, I believe, ended in New York's Central Park.

Does this synopsis ring a bell with anybody? I've followed a few leads and searched the sci fi, fantasy, and adventure movie lists from 1970 to 2000 and no luck. The closest I came was The Astronaut Farmer, which is similar, but too new and not it.
    Valmorden Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
    That sounds a lot like an old TV series (1979) with Andy Griffith called "Salvage 1".
    Brookey77 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
    That must be it. Isaac Asimov himself consulted on the show.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late 80's early 90's Sci Fi type Movie [ 3 Answers ]

Cannot remember the name of this movie and its driving me nuts. Early 90's late 80's about a bunch of boys at skateboard or rollarskating place Possibly on another plant. And there are like no parents but a really evil woman is in charge and she can do horrible stuff. She has a mirror-type...

Can't remember a sci fi movie title [ 1 Answers ]

I saw it years ago, probably on the sci fi channel. One scene has the main character dead/ in suspended animation and revived by a raven-like god, who takes him away while he recites a piece of poetry and replaces a missing leg with a metal. Another character was a female who could read minds and a...

Does anyone remember a sci fi movie from the 90's? [ 2 Answers ]

For the past few years I have been trying to remember a movie that I believe came out in the 90's. It involve: 1. four ape like people that may have been siblings. 2. They might have been on a different planet or a different time zone. 3. One human from came to them and was a child (boy). 4....

Late 80's early 90's child sci-fi movie title request. [ 3 Answers ]

I have few memories of this movie so forgive me for lack of detail. I remember the main character being a boy who finds a robot that is "alive", but is designed like a suit he can crawl into and control or "wear". This robot and boy protect one another from some evil influence I can't recall....

View more questions Search