Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oliveoyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
    Can I move out of town with my son before filing for divorce?
    I have been married 3 years. My husband and I have a 16 month old son. I am a stay at home mother living in los Angeles. My husband and I are separating and moving towards a divorce. Nothing has been filed yet. We are currently living together and it's a very uncomfortable situation. I do not have any family in the area and I would like to move back home to get on my feet. "Home" is 13 hours North in California. I would not be leaving the state. Are there any laws that would prevent me from doing this? The move is not malicious, I just don't have anywhere to go here. I would be willing to work out a visitation agreement... I just can't live in this situation. Thank you in advance.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
    ... Are there any laws that would prevent me from doing this? ...
    I don't think so. But, on the other hand, if you move the children without discussing it with your husband, when you finally get around to filing for divorce the court may take that into consideration.
    oliveoyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Thank you. It would not be without my husband's knowledge! He is fully aware already. He is just not a big fan of the idea. He thinks that because I am the one who wants the divorce that I should have to stay in Los Angeles with our son. I cannot afford to live here on my own with no family nearby. It is important to me that my son maintains a good relationship with his daddy, so as I said I'm willing to work out a schedule for visits. Ultimately I would like to move a little lower in the state... i.e. the North Bay of San Francisco. That would make visitation that much easier. But I cannot afford that yet. Is there anything I should do, like have him sign something saying he is aware of where I am going?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 2 yr. Old son, her brother,& I or anyone asked to move ,in be forced to move [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends sister asked myself,my 2 yr. old and her brother to move in with her because she was divorcing her husband & was afraid to stay there alone. Her husband broke in the house by smashing the glass on the inside kitchen door, the police were called and she went to court for an order of...

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

Son wants to move out of town for a new HS [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, My 16 yr old son moved in with family out of town and transferred to new high school which has made him much happier. He wants to live with us again, but still attend his new school. We are both torn of how to handle this. He does not want to ask us to move, and we don't want to...

SHould you be legally separated before filing for/or while filing for divorce? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the advantage of being legally separated while filing for divorce? Common sense tells me that a separation PRIOR to a divorce is to afford a couple some time to possibly reconcile before filing for divorce. But, if you went straight for a divorce, would you need to file for a separation?...

View more questions Search