Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY13700 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 02:45 AM
    Is it okay for a hot tub to set directly on a deck?
    My daughter just bought a house. The hot tub sits directly on the deck. My father, who had a hot tub, said he believes that it should sitting on a platform/riser (because his did) that raised it and inch or so off the ground. The hot tub has been here for a while like this and I have seen pictures of others who have thier's set-up this way.
    Is there any problems with this? What is the reason for having them sit on the platfrom to raise them an inch or so?
    sHazel Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2011, 10:42 AM
    I'm not sure about a platform but I had a hottub that I sat directly on the deck and it eventually came through my deck we never ever used it so it never had water in it and it would way more heavy if there was so I would say directly on the deck is a bad bad bad idea
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
    How high off the ground are we talking? If you have space, set a couple of 4X4 under the tub and
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Your can set your tub directly on the deck if it was built to handle the weight of the tub, 300 gallons of water and 6 people. Most decks are not built to this level of structural strength. Until we know more about the deck design I'd says its an accident waiting to happen. Most tubs filled with water and people weight oover 1.5 tons. Spread that weight along the perimeter of a tub and you have several hundred lbs per square inch not all sitting on a jist. Or post.
    DIY13700 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY13700 View Post
    My daughter just bought a house. The hot tub sits directly on the deck. My father, who had a hot tub, said he believes that it should sitting on a platform/riser (because his did) that raised it and inch or so off the ground. The hot tub has been here for a while like this and I have seen pictures of others who have thier's set-up this way.
    Is there any problems with this? What is the reason for having them sit on the platfrom to raise them an inch or so?
    Maybe not worded correctly above - the deck structure is not in question. The deck is built to handle the weight. The hot tub has been inplace for a few years.
    My question is, my dad's hot tub had a riser/frame/platform (for lack of better description) about 2 or three inches high that the hot tub sat on. This hot tub doesn't have, but sits on the deck instead of on this platform. I think the only purpose of the riser/frame/platform was so that the side panels could be easily removed from the hot tub(having that gap between the deck and the bottom of the pannel. So I am trying to find out if there is a true need for this platform like my dad had on his - or is it just for the reason I stated above.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Oct 11, 2011, 12:57 PM
    There's no need for a platform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to install the tub spout with a tub/shower set? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to install the tub spout portion of a tub/shower trim package?

Hot Tub Foundation Deck structure? [ 1 Answers ]

I expect delivery of new hot tub. I have in place a 6 inch thick concrete reinforced pad which served as foundation base of a previous 500 gallon wooden hot tub.. Ontop of that 6 inchpier blocks upon which rest 4 x4's crossed by another layer of 5 4 x4 's with spaces between. They were added to...

1950s Cape - Leaking first floor ceiling directly underneath (probably) original tub [ 4 Answers ]

Hello-I have read so many of the similar leaking problems, but am having trouble distinguishing if our problem here is the same so I hope you don't mind, but I am asking for help. I apologize in advance if it is the same problem. We have a 1950's Cape Cod in New England. We have a full bath...

How is shower water from above apartment coming into my tub drain directly below? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in a three story building with a stack that hooks into just the shower/tub and bathroom sink. I live on the second floor. When the person above takes a shower, the water comes into my tub through the drain. Both tub and sink drain empty into a small drum (that captures sewer...

I am trying to rienforce bak deck/porch to support hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am having trouble finding answers. I am trying to put a hot tub on my deck. This is where it gets tricky. The deck is really a porch with its own block wall foundation. I live in a brick row home so they added a 14’x 8' extension to the basement and covered it with a 4" thick concrete...

View more questions Search