Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cin777l Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
    Is any compensation owed to me?
    My boyfriend of 8 yrs. At the time was hit by a truck while walking across the street. He was hurt real bad. He now has Severe Traumatic Brain injury, and minimal use of his left side. He also is the father of our 7yr.old son. I've taken care of him for the last 3 yrs. By myself. He was just finally approved for 24 hr supervision. In the beginning he could not do anything by himself. He wore diapers and I had to do everything. Well after 3yrs. He now uses a cane. Ihss was paying me for 138 hours a month. Our rent is $1250 his mother pays $950 a month from his ssi, I pay $300. Anyway just got approved for 290 hours a month. His mother thought it would be a good idea to let his ex-girlfrien and mother of 2 of his children, pick him up 2-3x a week to give me a break.(I recently lost my mother to cancer Jan.13 and my oldest daughter whom is 22 just died on her honeymoon in June) So I did. Well we did that for about 2 or 3 weeks then I went to pick him up and she wouldn't let me. Received an email from his mom stating I was no longer going to be his caregiver she was. No notice, nothing. Now I don't have a job, and responsible for all the rent. Is there any kind of compensation I could get for all the 24 hr. care I've given him since he came home from the hospital? 3 yrs. Ago or am I just put out in the cold with my son? Can this be legal? I need some advice ASAP
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
    I seriously doubt you will be able to back bill them for all the care you gave him. Which is really horrible if you ask me. His mother is the one to blame for having the ex step in for you. I know she meant well but the girlfriend now is in control. I'm pretty sure she meant well but she basically gave his ex girlfriend the monthly money that should have gone to you. You could call up the IHSS and ask them if you can back bill for your services for the three years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 07:03 PM
    So many things, if he was living with you, why were you not his guardian and getting the SSI check, I bet this was a issue with mother? The SSI money was mother using any for her own needs ?

But if the son can not make any of his own choices, then he would or should have had a guardian named ( so who is that)

If the man who now walks with a cane, can and is of his own mind, he should be able to decide where to live and no one could stop him from moving where he wants

But no where did I hear that you loved him and he loved you, no where did I hear you missed him

I just hear you miss his money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if there is now compensation from state for me taking care of my mother, she has demensia and is not ambulatory, she can stand long enough to move from the chair to the toilet or bed to wheelchair. I have quit my job to stay in her home with her

Unemployment compensation and Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently receiving unemployment compensation from the State, my previous employer will begin sending my annual Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation checks in a few months. They cannot delay this, I've asked. The annual Top Hat check will be equivalent to about 1 years worth of...

Employee compensation [ 2 Answers ]

If a supervisor has to drive a work crew from one state to another, should that work site supervisor also be compensated for driving the company vehicle?

Workman compensation [ 2 Answers ]

What is a fact finding hearing.

Compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I am a full-time caregiver for my 82 year old mother, is there any compensate from the government, hud or any other program out there I can turn to for help with this. Trisha

View more questions Search