Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dairy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
    Water under bathtub liner

What do you do about water between tub liner and original tub? Will it be fine because its on the hard tub?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2011, 05:08 PM
    The liner should be sealed and watertight. Pull it and clean the moisture and reinstall. Here's a video to help.
    Click on: how to install a bathtub liner - Yahoo! Video Search
    Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Hi Dairy...

Basically, if water has gotten under the liner of the bathtub then there is a leak/crack in the liner and most likely can't be repaired properly, but you can eliminate the water for now.

Here, you would simply remove (unscrew) the tub BASKET (see image) and push the water out from under the liner and into the drain assembly. If this is on a second floor, it could get messy and the water could spill into the ceiling so be careful and hold the drain assembly up tight to the tub as someone else pushes on the liner to remove the water, OK?

After all/most of the water is out, install some plumber's putty under the basket lip and reinstall tightly to the tub drain... use two screwdrivers crossed over each other to tighten well.

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Rebabear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 07:20 AM
    What if this doesn't work? Water is at the end of the tub and can't be moved toward the drain because of sealant?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Welcome to the plumbing page. I don't see where you have much choice but to pull the liner and remove the sealant and reinstall the liner. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 04:57 AM
    Pulling the liner could require removing the wall tile or wall surround and probably isn't going to happen except as a last resort... and at that point I'd suggest removing the entire tub and replacing that now!

I was thinking that if the water can't be forced down to the drain end as presented above, then the only other "temporary" fix might be to drill a very small hole in the liner and evacuate the water from under the liner using a SYRINGE. After removing most of the water the hole could be filled with a silicone sealant.

It isn't a great fix, but it will work... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Leak near bathtub but no leak behind tub found [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water marks in the ceiling on the lower floor that is about 3-6 feet away from the tub above that floor. I had noticed similar leak several years ago, just painted it over and did not see any more water marks for several years. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I...

My bathtub stopped draining, and the lav water backs up into the bathtub now. [ 3 Answers ]

My bathtub water has stopped draining. Now when we use the bathroom sink, the sink water backs up into the bathtub. What do you think is the problem??

Plumbing water supply for bathtub with center mounted facet on tub deck [ 6 Answers ]

Tub is a MAAX Collection Optik 7236 located against outside wall. Looking for best way to rough in water lines with very little access once tub is set in place.

Water behind pool liner? What happens if you leave the water under the liner for the [ 1 Answers ]

Winter and replace the liner in the spring Or should I drain the pool now and if I drain the pool will it be OK with no water in it for the winter

Cannot redirect water from tub to shower in Bathroom tub water fixrure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Mohen bathtub fixture. When pulling the stem on the spout to change from bathtub to shower, water does redirect to the shower head but continues to flow from the tubspout. I have removed the spout and the shower head and the water flows properly (from both) Could someone please advise...

View more questions Search