Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2011, 03:31 AM
    How can you tell if your waters are leaking
    Another question lol... I may have a lot now that its coming to the end of my pregnancy!
    33 weeks pregnant
    The past two days I've been getting wet patches in my panties, today more so than ever, I was walking earlier and was feeling pressure down in my lower abdominal, I usually do feel pressure but today it was a lot more, since I've got home iv'e had to change my panties twice because of the wet patches.

I can't breath through my nose so I can't tell if its urine or my waters, its colourless though and a small bit of white discharge was there too before I changed. I also had sex lastnight and wiped myself clean after and am pretty sure I cleaned all of his fluids that leaked back out, if this helps with answers.

Is it normal to leak urine and what are the chances its my waters?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2011, 03:39 AM
    It's very normal to leak urine as your abdomen grows and baby kicks the bladder.

One thing I tell my girls is that when your water breaks it is typically a gush of fluid. The leaking will continue at least every 15 minutes or so, most of the time it will be constant and you cannot stay dry at all. Most of the girls that come to me with their membranes ruptured have a soaking wet towel between their legs and fluid is trickling down their legs.

In the end, if you are concerned, it's best to contact your doctor/midwife, or go to your labor center to be checked. Once your membranes are ruptured delivery should happen within 24 hours unless your doctor takes other precautions (such as an amnioinfustion) to keep baby in a little longer.
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2011, 03:43 AM
    Great, thanks J. no this isn't constant anyway and its not heavy, I reckon its urine, I've been to the toilet about 10 times in 4 hours so far but I'll get checked anyway just in case :)
    Expert

Aug 20, 2011, 03:47 AM
    Most likely it's just urine if you don't constantly stay wet. Changing panties twice in one day is not uncommon as far along as you are.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2011, 03:51 AM
    There used to be pregnancy pads that you could buy that changed colour if you were leaking fluid, not urine.

I remember on my last pregnancy the hospital gave me a few in the last few weeks because I was convinced/paranoid I was leaking fluid, but no.

When my waters did break it was a tsunami!

I don't know if those pads are still around or even used today.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2011, 03:55 AM
    We don't have those pads here at my facility... in fact, I've never even heard of them. This would be GREAT if I could get my hands on some!

We use lithmus paper when our patients come up. Just a touch to the wet area and the paper changes to dark blue if it's amniotic fluid or yellow if it's urine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The waters coming from America - does anyone know about this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. The following might sound a little confusing, so I will make clarifications to my question if people want me to. I was wondering if people could lay out for me the bodies of water that connect to the oceans and seas FROM lakes and rivers in America. Like for example, "the X...

Purified waters [ 4 Answers ]

Does distilled waters have disadvantages?What are those?

Face Waters got me confused? [ 1 Answers ]

İ have learned that during hot summer days some brands have produced face water in order to get you refreshed and moisturize your skin. I had asked about mineral waters before but I couldn't get the answer I was actually looking for. Will you please recommend me something to spray on my face to get...

View more questions Search