Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vambo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Trouble playing mp3's on external hard drive
    I'm a novice, just got a 320 gigabyte external hard drive to store my music on. I then just copied the "my music" folder on my laptop on to it, which may not have been the correct way to do it, but... Anyway, it's all on there, but I'm not able to play some of the files on Windows media player now... message reads "WMP cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the files are stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct." Can anyone help?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Try them with a different media player --for example
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
    Make sure you get the plug ins though.
    With that program you can view video`s , listen to most music formats, and also work with pictures.
    Its open source, thus free, -- though your support would be good if it works for you.
    No fancy visualizations though just a basic player
    BananaPie Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Feb 1, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Are any of these files protected? I think there are some places that only allow the file to be usable on 1 computer.

Make sure you didn't copy just shortcuts for the offending files.

Make sure the transfer is complete before trying to open any of them.

Do yourself a favor, and get VLC player. Plays everything.
    vambo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Thanks very much, tried a few different media players now, and those mp3's ain't for being played. I'll download them again, and be a bit more careful. Some computer newbies are afraid of touching the machine, I'm afraid the opposite is true in my case. Imagine a monkey on a motorbike. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

External Hard Drive not being read ? [ 5 Answers ]

I've had it for about 9 months... and yesterday it decided to stop working... the external hard drive powers up but I can't hear the drive spinning... my laptop says that there is a Hard drive plugged in but when I go into my computer it doesn't show up :mad: I have most of the files backed up on...

Maxtor External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search