Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rusz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
    16 years old
    My son is 16 years old and he will be taken to a small claims court.Last winter driving to work and man claims he cut him off and in order to avoid the accident this man hit a snow bank and damaged his car,SGI did not find enough evidence to rule in his favor.Should I hire a lawyer or my son can defend himself or I can do it ?He is a minor.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusz View Post
    My son is 16 years old and he will be taken to a small claims court.Last winter driving to work and man claims he cut him off and in order to avoid the accident this man hit a snow bank and damaged his car,SGI did not find enough evidence to rule in his favor.Should I hire a lawyer or my son can defend himself or I can do it ?He is a minor.
    Did your son's car have insurance? If so, your insurance carrier should be defending this case and paying for an attorney.

What is SGI and what do you mean that it didn't find enough evidence?

Generally speaking, yes, you should assist him, if for some reason the insurance company won't, and assuming the small claims court allows you to do so.
    Rusz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
    SGI(Canada) is the insurance carrier but they don't get involved if it goes to a small claims court.The issurance carrier dissmised the case against my son that is why the other person is taking him to court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
    So basically your insurance company denied payment saying there is no evidence of the claim.

Also they should be suing you, not the child. In fact they should be suing you ( as guardian of the child) and the insurance company.

But I would hire an attorney, but if they win the law suit, your insurance should be required to pay, so if they won't pay, you would then have a suit against them.

Assuming you mean SGI is your car insurance company that denied payment to the other party.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 26 years divorce old lady with a kid of 7 years . But m in love with a guy who [ 9 Answers ]

I am 26 years divorce old lady with a kid of 7 years . But m in love with a guy who is married and that guy love me and but he love his wife a lot as well . I work for a BPO and I have a lot of mental stress of work, divorce case and my recent love . What should I do? I tried of not to be in...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 2 Answers ]

My exhusband was charged with theft by bring stolen property into state, theft by taking, theft by receiving stolen property, criminal trespass, aggravated cruelty to animals, removal of id items from animals. His sentence is 6 years jail time and 4 years probation. Will he serve all 6 years jail...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband has never execised his visitation rights of our twin girls. We have been divorced for 7 1/2 years. He is in jail now. I have not received child support in 2 years. Is this considered abandament? I live in Georgia.

View more questions Search