Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandon_N_ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
    Mental Health
    Hi my name is Brandon Im about 5'8 to 5'9 and I weigh around the 155 pound mark I think I might think I have IED just from the things that I do and notice about myself. Well, everything makes me angry. This could be emotional hangups I don't know because when I was in school I would constantly be harassed teased and picked on I would very angry very fast Itd be so bad I even think straight and even the littlest things can make me lose my temper completely to the point where afterwards I don't even remember what happened, I tend to throw and destroy objects which I have A LOT (I've destroyed three laptops and mulitiple remote controls) and when I am wronged, I want to break the person's ribs or kill them... Especially after being teased, made fun of or even the way someone is looking at me Sometimes, things which I find very hard to ignore and believe me, I've tried... But now, it's getting to the point that I know that control is slowly sipping and the little things irritate me to the point that I want to punch the person in the face. I'm worried that I will be unable to control myself any more and will end up losing my job and/or someone will catch me at the worng time and I wind up brutally assaulting the person and end up going to jail. Thank you in advance for reading this!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
    What's your question? Oh, and welcome to this site.

Aug 19, 2011, 05:23 AM
    I'm sorry -- I met to type -- Could my temper be disguised as an illness? Could I possibly have I.E.D.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
    It's quite possible that your bad temper could be selectively interpreted as an illness - Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED). IED is not a discrete diagnosis but a subjective interpretation of behavior, like all psychiatric labels. That leads to a medico-psychiatric classification, Impulse Control Disorder (ICD, NOS) and relegates treatment to a medical doctor.

Such labeling (diagnosis) is beneficial to the medical practitioner as it is then converted to a medical billing code necessary to obtain insurance payment. However the label stays with but seldom accrues to the benefit of the patient.

If you have a bad temper there are numerous resources available to you, lay counseling, advice, etc. Before considering your temper as an illness, it might be wise to question if medicine is really the proper venue for your concerns.

Self-diagnosis, all too common, drawing upon popularized psychiatric expressions can lead to personal misdirection with serious lasting consequences.

Based on your statements it sounds as though you have a problem with your temper, you are aware of it, recognize the need to address it. Your acknowledgement is good and appropriate and is the first step toward correction. It is within your control.

Considering your behavior as an illness, places it beyond your personal control, requires you to find a medical practitioner that specializes in treating the bad tempered and severely delimits your repertoire of possible responses. Probably not a good choice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
    So, DrBill recommends what for Brandon?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2011, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    So, DrBill recommends what for Brandon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_N_ View Post
    I'm sorry -- I met to type -- Could my temper be disguised as an illness? Could I possibly have I.E.D.?
    I should have noted the question. Basically setting aside the vague "not otherwise specified" idea of IED (psychiatric nomenclature) and seeking correction via non-medicalized, person based resources, including but not limited to counseling, advice etc.

Thought I would let you particularize the types of counseling available.

Aug 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
    Thank you, Dr.Bill!
    For taking time to read this and answering my question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Anger is more of a common issue or problem than one things. Look at the issues with "road rage" people shooting at others because they cut them off in traffic. Just a couple of week ago I had a young man try to hit me, because I bothered him and his "girlfriend" who were blocking the door way to get out of a store while they were fighting.

People find ways to control the BEAST that is within all of us. Some do it though drinking ( not my advice) other do it though ignoring the problem, ( not good either) some find Religion, others find meditation and others find it in Martial Arts. There is also counseling just for Anger Control

Many of us would love to have a laser beam on our cars to blow up the jerk in front of us ( or behind us) . Others would love to go and kick their bosses teeth in, But we have learned to control impulse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental health [ 1 Answers ]

My husband thinks he has a mental problem and in discussing this with a friend of his they discussed several things in the course of the conversation my husband mentioned to him that one of his testicles was normal and the other never did form and the guy told him that if his testicles were not...

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

I am completely stressed out and anxious to the point of throwing up and not eating. I can't focus on anything, and I am so sad all the time. I have thought about checking myself into the hospital, but I'm scared that they will not let me out if I go in. What should I do? Do you think that this...

Mental health [ 2 Answers ]

How Do I Have Someone Committed To A Mental Health Hospitol?

Mental health [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone feel they lose energy the older they get?

Mental health [ 4 Answers ]

Hopefully you can help me ,I feel as those I'm going crazy I have been diagnosed as being schozophrenia. I don't believe it ,so I do all kinds of research for other causes of my many ailments. I believe that I have some kind of parasite living in me , I had had many blood tests done and fecal tests...

View more questions Search