Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OmniTranz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2011, 05:30 PM
    Dial tone good, fax rings, phone won't ring
    Hi all,

After perusing the Internet for some time now I have not yet seen a post that has quite the same issue I'm experiencing, so I thought I would ask you! :)

For a couple weeks now, whenever an inbound call came into the house only the fax machine would ring, but not the home phones. I figured that our old 5.x Ghz phones were probably just dying (again) and didn't worry too much about it. I did play around a bit by disconnecting the fax machine and confirmed that indeed with or without the fax, the phones just wouldn't ring. Interestingly though, they would light up and register that a call was coming in. I could also dial out on them just fine. Also curious, the answering machine would never pick up.

So yesterday I finally broke down and bought a new phone kit (GE corded base + 2 cordless handsets, DECT 6.0). Thinking this would quickly solve the problem, I threw out the old set of phones, plugged in the new setup and lo and behold, the same problem still exists! The phones will light up on an inbound call, will register the caller ID, the fax rings, but none of the new phones ring and the answering machine in the base unit never answers. I checked the volume on each phone - all good. I swapped out DSL filters, still no go. I removed the fax completely, no go. I moved the base from one wall jack to another, still the same problem.

I checked the D-mark, the ADT punch down panel and the wall jacks - all look good, no loose or disconnected cables.

I want to blame the phone, but they're brand new AND the fax machine rings. I want to blame the phone line, but I have dial tone, can dial out, and the phones recognize a call and even display Caller ID information. I have read that in some cases there may not be enough voltage on the wire to power the ring - but how do I explain the fax machine ringing?

My wife wants me to call QWest, but I know they're going to go through the same troubleshooting steps I went through and tell me it's not their issue. However, since it just showed up out of the blue a few weeks ago, I'm suspicious that it could be QWest.

I'm at a complete loss here, I greatly appreciate any suggestions!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
    Is this a regular line from the phone company(CO), or through a modem/cable and out from there?
    Does the fax answer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yes dial tone but no ring on phone [ 14 Answers ]

We have a dial tone but when we call or receive a call. We get a half a ring and then nothing. Verizon checked their end and said that we have a short . How do we find this short ourselves.

Landline rings once then goes to fax tone [ 5 Answers ]

My landline rings only once after which it goes to fax tone. If you pick up in that ring or else you will hear the fax tone. Even the caller hears a fax tone. I DO NOT have a fax in my house or ever used this number for fax. Please help. I have tried everything. Called the ATT company people-...

Phone rings, DSL works, but no dial tone [ 4 Answers ]

My landline is doing something odd. The DSL works just fine and the filters are installed correctly, but I have no dial tone. The phone will ring and caller ID works, but when I pick up there's nothing. When I hang up it continues to ring. This is happening on all the jacks. I have tried...

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search